Friday, September 21, 2018

I'm Still Here...

But I look a little like this:


The Navy, God bless them, has thrown us a major curveball - we've actually moved on to Plan I, can you believe it?  Plans A-H are in the trash can.

I've lost track of what I've posted where but here was Plan H:

Moving from Virginia to Washington (me) and Okinawa (Vic).  Flying to Washington in August-September to buy a house, flying back to Virginia to pack up household goods and drive across the country in November, Vic will then fly off to Okinawa and I will live happily ever after in our forever home in Washington.

Can you hear that?  It's the sound of screeching brakes.  On to Plan I.

Vic's orders have been put on hold until summer/fall 2019.  He will stay in Virginia at his current job until then.  Since his orders are on hold, our household goods shipment is cancelled so we can't buy a house in Washington because a) our housing allowance will continue to pay for our Virginia quarters, and b) we'd have nothing to put in the house.  That's ok, you may say, we'll live happily here in Virginia until summer/fall 2019 and then start Plan H all over again.  But, and it's a big BUT, I was offered a job in Washington starting in November, a great job opportunity, back with my old co-workers, a job that is available now and may not be available later.

So, I'm out of here, no we're not getting a divorce, we're just going bi-coastal for a while.  I rented an apartment; Vic and I will drive across the country with whatever we can stuff in the car, pick up the few essential pieces of furniture when we get there - something to sit on, something to sleep on - he'll fly back to Virginia and I'll go off to work.  He has several opportunities to fly back to Washington between now and next summer/fall and will come for the holidays as well and then in summer/fall 2019, we'll look for a house and I'll fly back to Virginia to pack up our household goods.

Thank you to all of you who have reached out via social media to make sure I'm still around.  I appreciate the love.  I'll try to get back to regular blogging but it may be a little while.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Pamela! I knew you came to a bump in the road, but that's quite a big bump! So first, Congratulations on your new job! Second, I'm impressed that you and Vic have come up with a plan that works - even if it's Plan I. Third,I'll be praying for the whole bi-coastal thing... it's a challenge, but it's do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. I've been missing hearing from you, but figured you were doing the house hunting thing and just the general business of the whole process. Wonderful news that a job you were happy in is open again! Congrats on that! Everything will work out. Ah, the joys of Navy life. :) Service family members don't get thanked nearly enough for THEIR service. Thank you for putting up with the separations, the changes of plans, and all the other big and small frustrations, disappointments, and hardships. We appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been close to people in the army / navy... but you make me wonder about that life. It may be nice but there are some setbacks! glad you could get a great job and at least vic won't be too far from you

    ReplyDelete