Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge Volume 320

I thought last week was Volume 320 but apparently it was the Carolina Style Hodgepodge so here is the real Volume 320.  Click on the photo if you want to bear your soul join in.

1.  When you think about your future, what do you fear most?  Hope for the most?

I don't often think about dying but when it does cross my mind, I think about Vic and Sophia and how they will cope after I'm gone.  I've no doubt that they will manage, but coping is a whole different story.  I'll turn this whole dismal thought around and hope that I'll live a long, long time and they won't have to deal with this for quite some time to come.

As I wrote this, it also crossed my mind that I fear for our future generations.  My fear is that greed and selfishness will be so much more dominant in our society, that technology will replace simple kindness and graciousness, and that racial unrest will spiral out of control.  My hope is that we will very soon realize that we must make changes for the benefit of future generations.

Well, that was depressing...let's move on to chickens.

2.  September is National Chicken Month.  How often is chicken on the menu at your house?  What's a favorite dish made with chicken?  What's something you're a 'chicken' about doing or trying?

We eat chicken about once or twice a week.  I make a couple of signature dishes - CrockPot Chicken in Tomato-Garlic Sauce (known in our household as Chicken in the Red Sauce), Chicken Adobo, and Chicken Tikka Masala.  We grill chicken occasionally and I roasted leg quarters with sausage with a Nigella Lawson recipe that is delicious.  We haven't had my seventh grade Home Ec fried chicken recipe for quite a while although I used to cook it often when I lived at home with my parents and sister.

I consider myself pretty adventurous when it comes to food but I'd be a 'chicken' if you presented me with offal or bugs.  No, thank you.

3.  What are three things you don't own but wish you did?

A Maserati, a Ferrari, and a Lamborghini.  Just kidding.  I think a home gym, a pool, and a hot tub.  Still pretty luxurious but way more attainable than the three cars!

4.  Would you rather be a jack of all trades or a master of one?  Explain.  If you answered one, which one?  

I think I'd rather be a jack of all trades.  It's nice to be able to do a variety of crafts or hobbies or pursue a variety of interests.  Just sticking with one would be pretty boring.

5.  Ketchup or mustard?  On what?

Ketchup on French fries unless it's Fish and Chips and then it's malt vinegar.  Ketchup mixed with balsamic vinegar over meatloaf.  I will occasionally put Dijon mustard on a sandwich but I prefer to use yellow mustard in deviled eggs or potato salad.  I'm not really bothered about either one on a burger, I prefer mayonnaise.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

We've been praying for Texas, and praying for the fire-ravaged western states, and now it's Irma bearing down on Florida.  Our weather is out of control.  All we can do is pray and if we're in the path, prepare.

4 comments:

  1. Loved your number 3 answer. I laughed out loud. I too am a jack of all trades....and I too have been praying for Texas, now Irma, and of course the fires out west....especially in Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Tikka Masala is a favorite here too, but I don't make it. I do order it if we're in an Indian restaurant, but I haven't attempted Indian food at home. Praying here too, for all the hard things in the world just now...weather, fires, hurricanes, dictators, and starving children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even think of hot tub but yeah, I totally want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chicken dishes sound delicious. We eat chicken about twice a week also.

    Yes, the weather .. almost unbelievable that such opposite weather scenarios could be playing out at opposite ends of the country. As you said, all we can do is pray (and really, that's quite a lot!) and prepare if we are in the path.

    I'm a jack of all trades too and just prefer it that way!

    ReplyDelete