Monday, January 8, 2018

Life Last Week 2018-1


I'm revving up the Life Last Week feature for 2018 - it's a take on Diary of a Stay at Home Mom's Happy Homemaker Monday but it's for last week not the coming week.

The weather:::

17 degrees right now but there is a high of 44 forecast for today.  Bombogenesis, the White Hurricane (sounds like something out of Game of Thrones), swept through here last Wednesday night and although the snow stopped falling about noon on Thursday, the secondary roads are still in very bad shape and the residential streets have not been touched.  Everything shut down on Thursday and Friday - military bases open to mission essential personnel only and schools, government offices, and most businesses were closed - and the schools will most likely be closed until Wednesday.  Southeastern Virginia cannot cope with snow.

On my reading pile:::
I am still reading Part Four of Keep the Home Fires Burning.

On my TV:::
Over the New Year's holiday weekend, we binged our way through all five seasons of A Place to Call Home, what a fabulous series, how had we not found it before?  I forgot to cancel our free trial of Sling TV so we're in for another month of HGTV and The Food Network.


On the menu last week:::
I got a little lost with the menu planning and quite honestly, can't exactly remember what we ate on what night but it was something like this:

New Year's Day - Leg of Lamb with Carrots, Turnips, and Cabbage - some people eat Black-Eyed Peas for New Year's, we eat Carrots and Turnips
Tuesday - Bubble and Squeak - the leftovers from above tossed in a frying pan and fried up until they are crispy on the bottom
Wednesday - Lamb Korma (I cut the boneless leg of lamb in half - half I roasted on New Year's Day, the other half I cubed and used for korma
Thursday - Salmon,  Roasted Red Potatoes, Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Friday - Leftovers
Saturday (our third day housebound after the blizzard) - Leftovers again
Sunday - Beef and Vegetable Stew for Vic and I was on the Low Residue Diet (pre-colonoscopy prep) so I had a piece of baked white fish


Checked off the list:::
  • Picked my One Little Word for 2018 - change
  • Bangs trim
  • Sat in on the gift shop board meeting for the spouses' group President as she had to work
  • Nine days into the Whole 30 and still going strong
  • New phone for Vic - iPhone 8 Plus - his phone has had a hardware problem for some time that meant apps would jump from one to another at random, so annoying, but his phone died its ultimate death when it fell into the toilet.  Note:  Back pocket of jeans is not the place to put your iPhone when you're doing your business.  Pants down, pants back up, iPhone popped right out of the back pocket.


Crafts roundup:::
Finishing up my December Daily and moving on to One Little Word, started 365 Questions here on the blog, set up my Erin Condren planner for the first three months of 2018.

That's it for Life Last Week January 1-7 and I'll add today's question to the list below.

Check here to see the full details on 365 Questions - one line a day, every day, for five years.

January 1 - I want to change the direction my health is taking.
January 2 - I am most grateful for the love of my family.
January 3 - I have the freedom to volunteer, pursue my interests, and be at home when Vic's traveling gives him time off so yes, I am content.
January 4 - My best memory of last year was on August 20, the day we picked Sophia up from the airport after not having seen her for nine months.
January 5 -  My last major accomplishment was a trip to the dentist which left me not afraid to go back again.
January 6 - I could not live without my reading glasses!
January 7 - Yes, I believe that, with determination and support, people can change.
January 8 - The Sausage, Egg, Spinach, and Mushroom Casserole I made was the last "good" thing I ate as it was healthy and delicious.

1 comment: