Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Y is for Yakima

I first heard the word Yakima years ago when the company that bought our local cable franchise also owned the franchise in Yakima.  It sounded intriguing - YAK-ima - interesting.

Along came the A to Z and here is it, Letter Y.  Time to explore Yakima and learn more.

Yakima is located in south central Washington, southeast of Mount Rainier.  It is similar to Wenatchee in that it shares its name with a river and a valley and like the Wenatchee Valley, the Yakima Valley has apples.  It also has wine with more than thirty wineries. It has a canyon with trout fishing and panoramic viewpoints of a 330-feet deep gorge and distant views of both Mount Rainier and Mount Adams. Yakima also has walking and biking paths and a restored vaudeville house, The Capitol Theatre, with guided tours.

As with many Washington cities, Yakima is keen to attract tourism and has endeavored to make its downtown area visitor-friendly while preserving much of its historic charm and features varied dining, lodging, and shopping options along with many art and cultural events and festivals.

3 comments:

  1. I've actually hiked and went to a waterfall in Yakima. I love Washington! Its so beautiful. The vibe is always fun and carefree and some of the best seafood ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I couldn't read that without hearing it in the voice of Hyacinth Bucket. Lol. I would love to visit Washington if I didn't have to drive across the Dakotas and Montana to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I couldn't read that without hearing it in the voice of Hyacinth Bucket. Lol. I would love to visit Washington if I didn't have to drive across the Dakotas and Montana to get there.

    ReplyDelete