Monday, April 3, 2017

Happy Homemaker Monday 4/3/2017


It's time for another Happy Homemaker Monday with Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.  Click here if you'd like to join in .

The weather:::

Kind of all over the place from high 50s to 80 one day.

On my reading pile:::

Still working on To Everything a Season, Book 1 in the Song of Blessing series.

On my TV:::

LIke the weather, all over the place.  I watched the last seasons of Call the Midwife and Home Fires in preparation for the new seasons that started last night.  Vic and I also watched Conspiracy with Kenneth Branagh and Stanley Tucci, a dramatic recreation of the Wannsee Conference where the Nazi Final Solution phase of the Holocaust was devised and continuing in the World War II genre, I watched The War Bride but it had a lame ending.

On the menu for this week:::

Last week was the first week of another round of the Whole 30 - I stuck to the program religiously but Vic had a few lapses here and there (really hard to stick to it when he has to eat in the galley on some days).  The Italian Pot Roast from the Whole 30 cookbook was delicious and our first time to eat fennel.  Vic's traveling this week so it's snack food for me - Whole 30 snack food - and I need to come up with some dinners for the weekend.

On my to-do list:::

  • Mammogram on Monday and bangs trim on Wednesday
What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating:::
Still working on my Tea Cup and Mug Exchange blog post and the ornaments for the Christmas in July Ornament Swap.  I'm also finishing up the 2015 and 2016 Christmas Card albums - just need to find some scrapbook adhesive tape on a long roll for the lettering.

Looking around the house:::

Basically tidy - just need to unload the dishwasher and vacuum downstairs.

From the camera:::
The only picture I took all week was the cover of a book at Barnes and Noble that I wanted to check out on Amazon.  

Something fun to share:::

Continuing on with the Declutter Challenge update:

March 27 - Basement - No basement.

March 28 - Hobby Room - Ugh, another work in progress.  I did get as far as clearing off both craft tables so that I can place tools (scrapbook paper, stickers, embellishments, Cricut, Sizzix, etc.) on one and the boxes of the years to be scrapbooked on the other.

March 29 - Porch/Entry - This is the office so it's already been worked on.

March 30 - Seasonal/Holiday Items - Well, at least they are all in the same place but there is still some organization needed here and I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Not something fun but something to share - I checked out the Career Expo which was a was a bit of a bust - I handed out 5 of my 17 resumes (what a waste of paper that was) but the rest of the recruiters just pointed me in the direction of their website. Ugh, sometimes I long for the days when job vacancies were posted in the newspaper and you sent in a letter with your resume and got a come in for an interview response or at least a thanks but no thanks. In some cases, you could even call to make an appointment to see someone about the position. It's so impersonal these days - you post your resume and it goes into the black hole that is the Internet, never to be seen again. Several of the recruiters asked me if I was on Indeed - what is that? Turns out it's a post your resume and employers post jobs site and somehow the two come together. The Career Expo was really geared toward veterans - the police, sheriff and fire department were there recruiting, lots of trade jobs at the shipyards, and several wanting people with CDL licenses. I guess I'm back to waiting for the hiring freeze to be lifted.

Also sharing, the Blogging from A to Z April (2017) Challenge is in full swing.  I don't care for the way it is being run this year - everyone posts links in the comments on the A to Z daily letter post - there's no rhyme or reason to the system and over 500+ participants.  In 2015, they had a list of participants with categorization - (LI) was for lifestyle blogs which were the ones I went to first, Crafts (CR), Book Reviews (BO), Photography (PH), even AC for adult content (so you were warned!).  With that many participants, I'd really like to zero in on bloggers who have similar interests but I don't have time to go through 500+ blog posts to find them.  I was happy to see some fellow HHM bloggers taking part and I've added them to an A to Z blog list along with a couple of others of interest that I stumbled on when I was working my way through the A to Z comments.  It's not as fun this year.

What I'm wearing today:::
Jean, long-sleeved shirt, fleece jacket, Danskos - I'm off to my mammogram shortly.

Bible Verse, Devotional:::

When mistakes happen - Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you (Ephesians 4:32)

9 comments:

  1. I hope your mammogram goes smoothly. They're never too much fun, but I always feel productive when I finish. Sorry to hear about the job fair. I've heard that the application process is all online now. Even if you go into the place of business to apply, the just direct you to the website and really don't even want to meet you. Now I think it's more about who you know and your connections to find a job. It's a tough market out there! Have a marvelous Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your declutter process is in full swing and will be so rewarding when you finish. I always love the feeling after a BIG project like that and how fresh it all feels.

    I agree with you 100% about A to Z this year. A bit discombobulated, for the participants anyway.

    Sending good thoughts on your mammogram results. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love today's verse - a great reminder! Sounds like you have a busy week lined up. I know what you mean about job hunting. If I had to job hunt today I would have no clue as to how to find the jobs. My adult kids monitor websites of companies they'd like to work for and when a job opens up that they're qualified for they send in their resume. Sounds like a lot of effort. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending prayers for a good mammogram today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry your career expo turned out to be a bit of a bust. I actually found my current job (which I love) from a Craigslist ad. Of course, you do need to use caution but I found it to be a great source of job leads when I was looking. I know what you mean about things being so different now. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not participating this year in the A-Z. I'm not on top of blogging lately, and felt like that would be too much. I may chime in now and then, which is possible given the format. I understand the work involved in managing a list, but I liked the labels especially since there are a lot of gaming blogs and that is not my thing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on the mammogram. Love the Bible verse!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your experience at the career expo. It does, indeed, sound much different than how job searches were done in the past. Once my daughters are done with homeschooling, I know I'll have to get a job again. It will be quite a shock to see the difference in how things are done nowadays.

    I agree with you re: the difficulty with how the A to Z challenge is set up this year. I'm adding some of the blogs I visit to my blog's reading list so that they'll show up each time they post. It may save some time each day rather than trying to scroll through 500+ comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Kenneth Branagh!!!! I remember him from Hamlet when I was in high school I just wanted to hear him talk all day long lol! And thanks for the reminder about the teacup blog... I need to start on that one! I hope you have a blessed week!!!

    ReplyDelete