Wednesday, April 17, 2024

O is for Orange

 

Oranges don't feature too prominently in afternoon teas.  Only in the US would you find a piece of fresh fruit, on its own, on an afternoon tea tiered server.  It's just not done in the UK.  Orange would be confined to a macaron flavor, or as a complimentary flavor in a small cake or pastry, or as I recently found, in Orange Chantilly Cream.

I have to give you a little background here.  Ever since I became a Great British Baking Show lover, I have learned that there are more than a dozen types of pastry cream - whipped cream, chantilly cream, crème anglaise, Bavarian cream, cremeux, pastry cream, crème légère, diplomat cream, mousseline cream, chiboust cream, almond cream, and frangipane.

Yesterday, as I was watched Jos Atkin's Festive Afternoon Tea at the Savoy on You Tube, she showed us a Christmas Spice Cake with Orange Chantilly, Candied Lemon and Orange, and Winter Spices which she proclaimed to be delicious.  It looked like a great holiday treat which could even be modified to gingerbread, still with the orange chantilly cream on top.


It's the one on the far right in the photo above

Chantilly cream, crème Chantilly, or crème de Chantilly, is a sweetened whipped cream of French origin made with heavy cream, sugar (no less than 15%), and vanilla flavoring.  Orange Chantilly cream comes when you substitute ¼ teaspoon of orange blossom water for the vanilla flavoring.

Source:  Baking like a Chef, How to Make French Chantilly Cream

You can find all the details here.

5 comments:

  1. I love things that are flavored with orange! My favorite is chocolate with hints of it throughout. Have you tried that combination? I also love orange rolls, which are like cinnamon rolls, but orange flavored with a glazed icing on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, chocolate and orange are delicious together. One of our favorites is the Terry's Chocolate Orange that I often put in the toe of everyone's Christmas stocking.

      Delete
  2. This all sounds very nice. I'm going to have to start watching the Great British Baking Show. My son and daughter-in-law are big fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meant to mention, thank you for the link to the https://www.rriveter.com/ link. They certainly have some lovely bags on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange and chocolate sound like a great combination but I don´t think that I have ever had it!

    ReplyDelete