Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 306
1. Can you tell I'm embracing a Cinco de Mayo theme here this week? Do you like Mexican food? What's your favorite dish? How about on the side - black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, rice? What about heat - mild, medium, hot? Will you celebrate with Mexican food and drink on May 5th aka Cinco de Mayo?
I LOVE Mexican food. I don't really have a favorite - I love enchiladas, tacos, taquitos, carne asada, and more! I love Mexican rice on the side and throw in the black beans as well. When it comes to heat, I'm a sissy so keep it mild. No, we won't be celebrating this year because we're going out to dinner, not Mexican I'm afraid.
2. Ever been to Mexico? For work or holiday? Love it or no? If you haven't been, is this a place you'd like to visit? Can you speak Spanish?
Never been, don't really think I care to. I don't think I'd feel safe and there is so much poverty and so many people struggling; I know life is like that in many places in Mexico so going there to enjoy myself on vacation doesn't seem right. Can I speak Spanish? Maybe about three words - olé, gracias, and, ok, maybe only two words!
3. What's one thing you may accomplish this month?
I may get a job - the federal hiring freeze hasn't been lifted for the Department of Defense but I have one other application pending that's for another agency. It takes SO long.
4. If you were mayor of your village, city, or town, what's one thing you'd like to see changed, done away with, revamped, or accomplished? Is serving in public office something you've ever seriously considered?
We have a long stretch of waterfront with big signs that say "Don't Feed the Feral Cats". It breaks my heart to see the cats there so I would like to remove them as in find them homes. I don't know how they got there or why there isn't a catch, spay, and neuter effort, too much money I suppose. I guess even with that effort, more would probably appear. No, I've never considered serving in public office, I hate public speaking.
5. What's something that may be popular, but that you just don't get?
Social media, the multitude of forms. I enjoy Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends who are far away and I suppose Twitter is a shortened version of Facebook although I've never used it. The others - Instagram, Snapchat, Tinder, Google+ and the like - this article says there are 52 different ones, seriously who has time? I suppose if you're a young professional, they are great networking tools but I'm not at that stage and honestly, quite thankful that all of these types of social media weren't around years ago. Ugh, that makes me sound old and narrow-minded.
6. Can't let this week slip by without mentioning Thursday May 4th is Star Wars Day. As in 'May the 4th be with you' ahem. Are you a fan of the Star Wars series? Exactly how much of a fan are you? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being 'I've seen every film, own the action figures, might have dressed as Darth Vader for Halloween one year' and 1 being 'what's a Vader?' - where do you land?
I'm about a 3. I go to the cinema to see the movies because Vic and/or Sophia want to. It's not my choice, but I'm a team player. As far as the action figures and costumes, no.
7. Scroll back through your blog posts and in three sentences of less, tell us the general theme of your fourth blog post. Does it still ring true today? Is it a topic you re-visit on your blog from time to time?
My fourth blog post was way back in July 2011, Christmas in July Day 2. I'm a Christmas-aholic and I have participated in Christmas in July almost every year since then in one form or another. It's a great opportunity to try new crafts, explore new recipes, get organized, and plan ahead without all the hustle and bustle that December brings and it's fun to share share it all with like-minded Christmas lovers.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Never say never (see #4). I just volunteered to take on the role of Charities Chairperson for my spouses' group. Our gift shop profits go to benefit a number of charities and guess who'll be standing up in front of everyone next year, handing out the checks? Moi. I guess I have to say something, right?