1. Tell us about a time you felt like you were 'flying by the seat of your pants'.
That would probably be our trip to the Lost Colony in Manteo, North Carolina in the summer of 2014.
In 1587, 117 English men, women, and children came ashore on Roanoke Island to establish a permanent English settlement in the New World. Just three years later in 1590, when English ships returned to bring supplies, they found the island deserted with no sign of the colonists. After nearly 450 years, the mystery of what happened to the colonists remains unsolved. - The Lost ColonyI had wanted to attend the outdoor performance of the story of the Lost Colony and I happened to look up the schedule one Saturday and realized that day was the last opportunity we would have to attend between Vic's travel schedule and our move to Washington. Vic is not the most spontaneous person so when I said "Let's drop the dog at the kennels and go", he was a little rattled but we hit the road and had the most amazing day out. We ate seafood by the water, signed up for the behind the scenes tour, and really enjoyed the performance. Definitely a flying by the seat of your pants adventure.
2. When and where would you most like to be a 'fly on the wall'?
I once said that I'd love to attend a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace. Since it's doubtful that an invitation will be forthcoming, I'll be content with being a fly on the wall instead.
3. 'Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.'-Henry David Thoreau
Would you agree? Why or why not?
No, I really don't agree. I think we are, in large part, responsible for making our own happiness. We makes choices and decisions to be happy (or not). The people, events, and activities in our lives are key factors in our happiness and we have a lot of control over those factors.
4. Share a favorite movie, book, or song with flying in it's title, lyrics, or theme somewhere.
I love airplanes - I don't really like to fly but I love airplanes, so any movie involving an airplane would be my favorite. I'm a sucker for an oldie but goodie so I'd choose the original Airport movie. Helen Hayes was an absolute gem!
5. What is one task or chore you tend to do 'on the fly'? Is this something that really needs to be done another way?
I had to look this one up - on the fly = while in motion or progress. I pretty much have a routine for chores so I guess it would have to be picking up Vic's clutter as I go about the regular household chores. He seems to have a real problem with "a place for everything, and everything in it's place"! LOL, I could follow his progress through the house just by following the trail of things he's left where they don't belong!
6. What was happening the last time you thought to yourself or said aloud, 'Wow, time flies when you're having fun', and you meant it.
This last weekend as we whizzed through Lexington, Staunton, and Charlottesville to see as many sites as we could!
7. This Thursday is National Garlic Day. Will you add garlic to your menu on Thursday? Do you like garlic? What is your favorite dish made with garlic?
We LOVE garlic. Barely a day goes by when there isn't garlic in something or other which is surprising because we never had garlic when I was growing up. There will be garlic in the marinade for the steak we are having for dinner on Thursday. My favorite dish is one that I had as an appetizer at a restaurant - Brie cheese with roasted garlic squeezed over the top and served with French bread and apple dippers - amazing! Dracula, beware!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Retirement - it's on our minds. We have some choices to make in the next 18 months so this is really the start of the five year plan. Not sure if I'm happy or terrified!