Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Wednesday Hodgepodge Volume 355

It's Wednesday, time to Hodgepodge!  Check out Joyce's post here if you'd like to join in.

1.  What happens to the mail at your house?

I usually check the mail and open it next to the shredder.  We seem to get a lot of junk mail; I need to contact the various financial institutions and ask them to take us off the mailing list but until then, I just shred things like that.  We don't get bills or statements any longer, it's all electronic.  I usually take care of anything that needs attention right away but filing is another story.  The inbox is sometimes quite full before I get busy with filing.

2.  Something you always splurge on?  Any guilt associated with the splurge?

Most of our shopping at the British Food Store could be consider a splurge because the prices are outrageous.  I feel guilty at the cost until the first bite because it's a little bit of home and every memory associated with whatever it is I've purchased is well worth the cost.

3.  There are many, but what are two important questions you think every bride and groom should ask/answer before they plan their walk down the aisle?

a.  How to handle the in-laws?  How do you plan to spend holidays - alternate holidays as in Thanksgiving with his one year and Christmas with hers and then swap the following year?  What about aging parents?  Are they financially secure enough to make their own plans or is there an expectation that they will move in with you?  This could be more of a cultural issue but if you have a bi-cultural marriage, one side (and said side's family) may have completely different expectations that you could ever imagine.

b.  Finances - joint, separate, who's the saver/spender, how will you handle that?  Money is such a HUGE issue and if you're not on the same page from the beginning, it could spell major problems.

4.  What's the best advice your father ever gave you?

Be true to yourself, don't change for anyone.

5.  Your favorite movie where a father features heavily in the storyline?

Father of the Bride, the old and new versions.


6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Following up on question three, if you've been reading my blog for any length of time you know that I LOVE Christmas.  Imagine how it was in the beginning of our marriage when the Queen of Christmas married the man who had never had a Christmas tree and believed that Christmas was purely a religious occasion.  Oh my goodness, we have had some hilarious exchanges over the last 25 years and I am happy to say that we've weathered them well.  

9 comments:

  1. Great answers! Money spent on "good food" is never a splurge!
    I am now following from Hodgepodge - you can follow back if you want at Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good answers, especially to the questions before marriage. They always arise at some point, usually at the beginning!! I do the same with the mail. Easier to shred than to file!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's pretty cool about Christmas. Hopefully, you have come to an understanding!!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm visiting from the Hodgepodge. It's nice to meet you.

    I love all things British too. My family heritage is from the U.K., and I continually find myself wishing that they hadn't emigrated. If they hadn't, I could actually be British.

    Then again, if they hadn't emigrated, the 2 sides of the family wouldn't have met, and I wouldn't be here.

    Still, though, I have a British heart, just as you do.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Celebrating Our Days

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, handling in-laws is definitely something most people don't think about before! My husband gets supremely annoyed by my mom (justifiably) and it grates on me for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I occasionally splurge on a British treat in the market here that carries them too. Just like I splurged on some of my girls favorite American treats in the UK. Sometimes you just need a taste of home : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. How to handle the in-laws...that's a big one! My daughter got a truly awful mother-in-law when she got married and there is no end of stress over holidays because the woman does not want her traditions to change in any way. We had already worked out and plan with our son and his wife to alternate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day from year to year so that's what our daughter and her husband do, too, so we can all be together. Other holidays we either split the day or with our son we know he will never be here on Thanksgiving, but he will be here every Easter. Is it my dream, no, but it's fair. Our daughter's mil just doesn't care about fair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of people open their mail by the shredder! That was funny to me. Love your answer about marriage, yes in laws can be hRd to handle. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from NH! I am a fellow Hodgepodger and am visiting ne blog sites. Your answer In-laws is something I never would have thought about because when you marrysomeone you marry their family as well. My beloved SWMBO were stationed ( USAF ) in England during the mid-1970's. We loved our time there. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete