Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 565

 From this Side of the Pond

It's Wednesday, time to join Joyce over at the Hodgepodge.  Copy the graphic and the questions, answer them on your blog, and then link up to the party.

1. What's the last thing you completely overreacted to?

Maybe the whole deck building process?  I can't really think of anything else I completely overreacted to lately.  I am frustrated that the process is taking.so.long.  I suppose it's our own fault for not asking how long the process might take.  Day 19 and we're still waiting.

2. Your top five snacks? 

Salt and vinegar chips; chips and guacamole; chips and salsa; any kind of hot dip like artichoke or crab with pieces of crusty bread; little sweet things like madeleines or mini-tarts.

3. What smell always brings back some type of memory? Elaborate. 

Burnt toast.  My aunt (in England) had an eye-level grill, something like this:


It never failed that the toast on the grill ended up burnt.  English bread smells different than American bread and the smell of it burnt is burned (excuse the pun) into my brain.  It's not an unpleasant smell, and it's one that conjures up the most amazing memories of the time we spent at her house.

I struggled with whether to use burnt or burned and resorted to Google to check it out:

  • "Burned" is the past tense form of "to burn" that is more commonly used in American English.
  • "Burnt" is the past tense form of "to burn" that is more commonly used in British English.
  • Both words are correct and can be used interchangeably, depending on the preferred dialect.

4. What's something you learned from the last book you read?

I learned that there were women in World War I who traveled to France for the express purpose of setting up libraries.  Here's an excerpt from this article:

In 1930, Anne Morgan’s wartime headquarters, the Château of Blérancourt, became a national museum dedicated to Franco-American cooperation and friendship. The legacy of the reconstruction work carried out by Morgan and her tireless cadre of librarians endures and resonates well beyond the borders of Picardie, and Bibliothèque Fessart, with its stacks-lined reading room on the ground floor and children’s room upstairs, is a treasure today. 

5. What's the next thing on your to-buy list? Will you make that purchase before the end of the year?

Right now, it's the building materials for the deck.  We're holding off on the big purchase until the permit is approved and we know exactly what will be required.  One big purchase, one delivery.  After that, I think a new fence is on the schedule but probably not until the spring. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Who remembers these kids TV dinners?  My sister and I looked forward to the couple of times a year when my parents had to attend a command function, and we had a babysitter and Kid Cuisine TV dinners.  Life was so much simpler then and treats were small and infrequent.

14 comments:

  1. Smells from the kitchen do bring back a lot of memories! Enjoyed reading about yours. I wonder what accounts for the difference between American and English bread? Seems like the ingredient list would be pretty similar. Ah, the deck will be worth the wait! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our project is supposed to take a month. We shall see. I read The Paris Library and enjoyed that. I guess I'd never really thought about libraries remaining open during the war. We (or at least I) tended to think everything kind of shut down. I hope you're enjoying time on the deck soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys ate those kid cuisines at my grandmother's house when we visited and really looked forward to them too. I hope your permit comes through soon; our town is just awful with building permits-- it took us a full year to get our building permit for our house (but we live on a lake and had to deal with wetlands as well).

    ReplyDelete


  4. They didn't have Kid's Cuisine when I was a kid. I don't think we even had them when my kids were little.
    So many of the Hodgepodgers are having major projects done in their backyards at the same time. It will be nice when completed.
    That book sounds interesting.
    I wonder why English bread smells different than American bread? Learn something every day!
    I love all the snacks you mentioned - but if I ate that all the time, I'd gain weight.
    See you next week.



    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely remember the Kid Cuisine...what a blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home renovations/yard renovations can certainly wear on our patience. Hope progress is made each day and how fun to enjoy this new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you will show us photos once construction starts! You listed some great snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela, things always take long when you are looking forward to it being done. I like your snack list! I like salty things too. I don't remember Kid cuisines, just Swansons' frozen dinner in aluminum. I just have to decide what iPhone I want and I need to get a lot of screenshots off my phone. Our cruise is not until January. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Call the Midwife books are good, with more details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your answers today, and that little grammar tidbit about "burned" vs "burnt" - good to know! I remember Kid Cuisine dinners. I think I got them for my oldest two kids occasionally. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When we were buying a new cooker earlier this year we were looking at the one's with eye level grills but they were double the price of what we got. They remind me of my childhood too. I could never manage to make toast without it burning. You have me questioning which word I would use, burned or burnt. lol I use both. lol
    Those Kid Cuisine dinners look awesome! I was going to say my girls would have loved them when they were younger but who am I kidding, they would still love them now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy, sorry about the slowness of your deck project. I hope once it gets started it is full steam ahead!! That memory is great. Toast in England is very different from the U.S. I wonder why. That is very interesting about the World War I libraries. Thank you so much for your visit to my hodgepodge, I appreciate it. Hope the rest of your week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry your deck is taking so long. I forgot about salt & vinegar chips. They are great! That is interesting about those women who set up libraries. I remember those dinners but I can't remember if I gave them to my kids.

    ReplyDelete