Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 441

    From this Side of the Pond

It's time for the Hodgepodge.  Click here to join in.

1. How did you name your blog and do you now wish you had thought about it maybe another five minutes before hitting publish? Would you change your blog title if it were not a huge pain in the derriere? 

The Lady of the House Speaking is the way one of my favorite actresses, Patricia Routledge, answers the telephone in her role as Hyacinth Bucket (that's Bouquet!) in the British comedy Keeping Up Appearances.  Watch the short video below or just fast forward to 0:25.  She's my alter ego so no, I wouldn't change the name.

2. What bill do you least like to pay?

I guess car insurance.  Cars should come with it!

3. What is your favorite word? Okay okay, calm down. How about one of your favorite words?

Lashings as in lashings of ginger beer (from a favorite childhood story), lashings of whipped cream, and at this time of the year, lashings of good cheer. 

4. Is the glass half full or half empty? Elaborate. 

Half full.  Who wants to walk around moaning "Woe is me" and being a downer.  Make the best of your situation.  We've moved many times, away from family and friends, to unfamiliar locations, making a new start after just settling in to the last place.  I could look at it negatively but I choose to use each move to explore a new area, meet new people, have new adventures.  It's given me a lot of great memories.

5. Were you here for that very first Hodgepodge post? If so, were your answers then similar to what they are today? Tell us what was happening in your life in November of 2010?

No, my first Hodgepodge was #217 on 15 April 2015.  In November of 2010, we were living in Rhode Island where Vic was an instructor at the Surface Warfare Officers School in Newport, Sophia was a sophomore in high school, and I was the household diva and chauffeur to her many extra-curricular activities - 4-H, horse riding lessons, high school equestrian team, choir, youth group, and drama team.  We were seriously thinking about living happily ever after in our home there.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

November was always a month for a thankful and grateful challenge on my blog.  I've done many over the years but didn't even think about one this year.  I guess it's because I'm in a thankful and grateful scrapbook group this year.  As an Army brat and now a Navy wife, I'm particularly thankful for our military, for the sacrifices our active duty service members and their families make in service to our country.  I'll leave you with this:

"Veterans Day does not include an apostrophe but does include an 's' at the end of 'veterans' because it is not a day that belongs to veterans, it is a day for honoring all veterans." - U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

8 comments:

  1. I love British programming and the language too. Our own, but better : ) Thank you for your family's service. I am a military brat as well and my son-in-law is currently serving in the Army, so our soldiers, veterans, and their families are close to my heart always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That final bit is something I have always looked up. I think I will remember better by using your explanation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that show... but now, I want to answer the phone that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog name! Wholeheartedly agree with your glass half full answer! I enjoyed your post, no “woe is me” to be found! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun inspiration for your blog name. She's a hoot. It's hard to be around too many Eeyores! Thank you to our Veterans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Especially enjoyed your answer to #4. Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha...that show sounds fun. I had to look up that word. I love it! Sometimes I think our american (english) words are so boring compared to other countries, but maybe they feel the same way. I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete