Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 442

 From this Side of the Pond

It's time for the Hodgepodge.  Click here to join in.

1. It's often said we should be grateful for small blessings.  What is one small blessing you are feeling especially grateful for today?

I'm grateful for a programmable thermostat.  It's really chilly outside and when I come home, it's warm and toasty and so welcoming in the house.

2. How do you feel about leftovers, not just on Thanksgiving but after any meal? Favorite thing to make/eat using your Thanksgiving leftovers? 

We eat leftovers all the time!  Some of our friends won't touch them, can you imagine?  When things are normal (ie. we have a kitchen and Vic and I are both under the same roof), leftovers usually make lunch for the next day.  Since I've been on my own, it's often leftovers for several days if I've cooked a big pot of something.  My favorite thing to make with Thanksgiving leftovers is a turkey, cranberry, and stuffing panini.  It's delicious!

3. Sherwin Williams unveiled it's 2022 Color of the Year-Evergreen Fog. Are you a fan? Would I find this mid-tone gray green shade anywhere in your house? Does your house need painting? Inside or out? What one space is most in need of a paint job? Are you a do-it-yourselfer or do you hire a professional? 

Evergreen Fog is a pleasant color but a touch too dark for my taste.  It's more grey than green but I think I would prefer it a few shades lighter.  Yes, our house needs painting inside.  We have the worst orange peel texture on the walls, how I wish we had had time to remove it all before we moved in but we didn't so we're attacking one room at a time.  Morning room is done, kitchen/dining room will be next, then the guest bath, and on to the bedrooms.  Living room will be last since it's the biggest job.  Vic considers himself a do-it-yourselfer but I would prefer to hire a professional.  One and done, as they say.

4. What is one aspect of the way you were parented that you are grateful for today? 

My parents loved unconditionally and they stood by my sister and I through thick and thin.  We made our share of teenage and young adult stupid decisions but they were always there when we found our way back to reality.

5. Write an acrostic for the word-thankful

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't remember 

How much my parents loved me.

Always encouraging, always caring,

Never judgmental, never a harsh word.

Knowing that they were always there

For a quick chat or a long conversation.

Unconditional love, their example

Led me to the same relationship with my daughter.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

My co-workers are decorating their office for Christmas!  It is killing me not to be decorating but if you've been following my story, you know my kitchen/dining room is an empty space and everything that was in there is now in the living room.  Have you ever had a Christmas without decorations because of a move or a life change or some other reason?  I just keep telling myself that this too shall pass and next year will be bigger and better than ever and in the meantime, I'm living vicariously through all of the decorated homes in the Hallmark movies that are my seasonal addiction.


8 comments:

  1. We have lots of friends who have already decorated. I love Thanksgiving so I don't decorate until the day after. I've never been in a situation where we couldn't decorate at least a little. Our twins (will be 35 tomorrow) were born right before Thanksgiving and somehow we managed a tree that year. I was only getting about 2 hours of sleep a night and without pictures, I wouldn't even remember that Christmas hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure I'd get to decorate this year. I don't know when our house has to go on the market and, of course, I'm not going to have showings in a decorated house. The grandkids were very worried about it. I told them if I couldn't decorate I'd buy a huge poinsettia, put it on the dining room table and pile all the gifts around it! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on the color. Maybe in different light its better. If you have Netflix they have a cute leftover show. I have gotten somes tips there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the color in someone's home, they painted their son's bedroom this shade and it looked more green there. Light does change paint colors so I'm sure it would depend on the lighting. I don't like dark either. I haven't decorated yet, we wait until after Thanksgiving. I did hang my wreaths on my kitchen cabinets because I needed to get them out to see if they were still fresh looking or needed to be replaced. They are making me happy : ) Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your acrostic and the way you were brought up. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya on the thermostat. It was colder earlier in the week and I totally bumped it to 71 instead of 70. My husband is out of town; he won't know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not decorated for Christmas yet, I wait until after Thanksgiving. I have had the itch to start early probably because my Brother In Law gave me some of the cutest Gingerbread items for my Birthday that was in October. But I have resisted mostly because 1. I wont skip over Thanksgiving and 2. both our Children's Birthdays are in. November. I hope you can at least find a small space for a tiny tree? Your Panini sounds delicious! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your answers. We love leftovers too. Yes, it is also nice to have a programmable thermostat.

    ReplyDelete