Sunday, July 7, 2024

Christmas in July - Day Seven

 

Our next stop courtesy of the Navy was Great Lakes, Illinois (1999-2003), an hour train ride north of Chicago.  The train station was right outside the Navy base, and we made a few trips into the city during our time in Illinois.  We also took advantage of bus trips offered by the local MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) office which were super cheap and when you add that to not having to drive or find parking in the city, it was a win-win-win.  On one of our trips, I found this beautiful glass ornament showing the city skyline.  

4 comments:

  1. Haven't been to Chicago in several years. Spent some summers and Christmas time in Wheaton alot

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ornament is really neat! Love the Chicago skyline painted on it. That is cool that you were able to get into the city easily. When Abby and I were in New Jersey last June, we were very close to NYC but I didn´t consider driving into it. Fortunately, we were about a two minute walk away from a New Jersey Transit bus stop and used the bus service to go to NYC several times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another awesome ornament! Carey will be visiting Chicago later this summer, so this caught my eye and imagination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I wanted to buy an ornament in Chicago but we were so busy I forgot about it all... been looking on Amazon to find one but for now, none to my liking. I like yours but I want unbreakable

    ReplyDelete