Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 558

 From this Side of the Pond

1. It's a big week in the US of A as we celebrate Independence Day. Do you have any special plans? How will you mark the day? BBQ? pool-lake-beach time? fireworks? homemade ice cream? If you're not an American you can tell us what's happening in your corner of the world on Thursday. 

No special plans - the kitchen electrical project is still going so we won't be having anyone over.  We'll probably just barbecue and spend the day at home.  Keeping Malone quiet will be on the list - the fireworks started here on Monday night, and he went crazy, barking at each burst.

2. What's your favorite 'All-American' dessert? 

Apple pie and ice cream.

3. Does that patriotic feeling come easily to you, or are you having to work for it more these days? What's something that makes you proud to be a citizen of your country?  

It comes easily to me.  I'm an Army brat, now a Navy wife so service to country, patriotism is in my blood.  I love history and we were fortunate to live in New England for five years and explore many of the places that played a part in our country's freedom.  It makes me proud to see respect for our military, whether it's the Patriot Riders taking part in a funeral procession or children waving flags at a hometown parade.

4. Your favorite 'patriotic' movie? Favorite patriotic song? 

I just watched The Patriot with Mel Gibson last week and I think I'll give Turn another viewing (you can watch it with Prime).

God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood is my favorite song, it's played at every Navy ship's homecoming as the ship is approaching the pier.


The red, white, and blue lei at the front of the ship is a homecoming tradition.  During the deployment, the spouses' group makes the lei by tying colored plastic trash bags to a thick rope.  As the ship approaches, the lei is transported by tugboat to the ship where it is placed on the bow of the ship.  It's really impressive.

5. One simple pleasure on your July 'bucket list'? 

A road trip to a state park with Malone.  Not sure which one yet, I need to print out a list and work on checking them off as we visit.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

It's Christmas in July!  Does anyone else celebrate in any way?  Watching Hallmark Christmas movies?  Making plans for Christmas 2024?  Trying out or making crafts, cards, or decorations?  I'll be posting through the month if you're interested in my Christmas in July activities.

11 comments:

  1. God Bless the USA is such a good song! I forgot about it. That is so cool how it´s played for a ship´s homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the lei tradition but I love that! I am definitely not ready for anything Christmas. I do have a craft project that might take me six months so I guess I could get started on that, but otherwise I'm in full on summer mode. Happy 4th to you! Thank you and your husband for your service to our country. I know it's a family commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Mollie won't be too upset by the fireworks. I don't think we'll have as many in this neighborhood as the old one. What an amazing tradition with the song and lei for the homecoming ships!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm posting for CIJ. Love that you are blogging too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few other posts this month, but all of the CIJ content is in the tab at the top.

      Delete
  5. Oh I LOVE that song! And you can never go wrong with apple pie and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, apple pie and ice cream are great. Thank you for your families service to our country. Enjoy your road trip. I am definitely a Hallmark movie fan. I watch all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the red, white, and blue lei on the ship! What a great tradition! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading that ship tradition, so cool. Thankful for the service your father and husband have given our country. Happy 4th and happy July to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful Independence Day. Here we are having a general election to decide the next Prime Minister. I am going to vote later on when my fella has finished work.
    I do love apple pie and ice cream. Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your answers. I never do the Christmas in July even though it is my favorite holiiday.

    ReplyDelete