Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Thankful, Grateful, Blessed #1


Starting a new Thursday feature today.  I joined in with a Thankful Thursday meme two weeks ago but I was disappointed that the other bloggers (apart from the host) linked to random posts and that wasn't what I wanted.  So, I'm branching out on my own.

A little bit of backstory to set the scene.  Vic was up for consideration for promotion this year.  It's one of those time in grade/rank type of deals - you have to have been in your previous rank for a certain period and when you've met that milestone, you are eligible for consideration.  There's a website where all the details about the promotion board are available, including a great tracker that shows the progression of the results as they go through layers of approvals before they are announced.
The Release and Approval Process is a lengthy one. Please be aware that each location on this tracker involves numerous offices within that location. Due to the complexities of the approval process there will be times where no significant movement occurs (possibly weeks) at a particular location. This is NOT uncommon. 
LOCATION
Senate Confirmation
President
Select Message Released
Secretary of Defense
Secretary of the Navy
Chief of Naval Operations
Judge Advocate General
Chief of Naval Personnel
Board Convened
I've been tracking the board since it convened in May and I knew we were getting close to the results announcement.  Officers get a couple of opportunities for promotion and then if they don't make it, retirement is usually their next step.  This was Vic's first "look" so I was doubly excited - how cool would that be if he made it the first time!

Well, I think you know what's coming next...he made the promotion list!  I actually found out when I got home last Wednesday and found a congratulations message on Facebook Messenger from one of his former co-workers.  I quickly signed on to the website and there was his name, how lovely it was to see it in black and white.  I couldn't wait to talk to him.  He's been calling during his lunch time which is my evening here so that works perfectly.

The phone rang and there he was...I was very nonchalant..."So, dear, how was YOUR day?"  He laughed because he knew I knew.  He was woken up in the early hours of the morning with his phone blowing up with congratulations texts.  I put up a quick post on Facebook about how proud I was, sharing the news and more congratulations came flying in.  Wonderful to read all the lovely comments.


Thankful, grateful, blessed, oh my goodness, yes!  Vic is such a hard worker and he pours so much effort into doing a great job.  He's a wonderful mentor, and strives for excellence in all that he does which is so important when his field is safety.  I could go on and on because, of course, I'm his number one supporter but I guess I'll just wrap this up by saying that I am the proudest wife and so thankful that all he puts into the Navy has been recognized.  I guess I'd better go and look at airline tickets now since I will most definitely be heading to Okinawa to pin that shiny oak leaf on his collar sometime next year.

5 comments:

  1. Many, many Congratulations! This is richly deserved, NO ONE works harder than Vic. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Vic! And thank you for sharing such a loving tribute to him with us. Will this promotion keep him in Okinawa longer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank goodness, we're still on the original schedule.

      Delete
  3. Awww congratulations to Vic, he definitely deserves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news! Many congratulations. And I love this new weekly category post!

    ReplyDelete