Wednesday, August 21, 2019

way back when...Wednesday #1

I've been having a lot of flash-backs to times gone by, some from as far back as my childhood, some other random thoughts that seem to pop out of nowhere or perhaps be triggered by my environment.  Some will end up in If this is Tuesday or Story Time Friday posts if they are closely related to my early days in England, or just times with my family, but I thought it would be fun to write them down.

I was off work for an appointment today and I took advantage of the extra time and ran to Target.  I ducked into the restroom and as I was drying my hands, I thought back to the days before paper towel dispensers and the ultra-modern Dyson air dryers.  Does anyone remember the cloth towel dispensers?

Surprise, surprise, they still exist!  This company, Phelps, provides uniform and facility services and look what they offer - 
ye olde cloth towel dispenser!  Fascinating that such an item, in our germ-phobia world today, still exists.  I can remember that, after about six or eight people rotated the cloth to find a dry spot, it started to get very damp.  Not only that, it could be a little gross because not everyone comprehends the need to hum Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star as they wash their hands to make sure they are thoroughly washed and vestiges of grim made their way over to the towel.

Can you remember the last time you saw a cloth towel dispenser?

6 comments:

  1. LOL It's been a few years, I think. But I was really surprised, even then, to see one still in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I think air dryers are pretty useless, as it takes forever to get them even remotely dry. And what are you supposed to do, open a germy door handle with wet clean hands, and get them dirty again? Or use your shirttail to grab the door handle? There should be paper towels, and a trash can next to the door so you can throw away the towel used to grab the door handle.

      Maybe a little germaphobic, but I prefer to think of it as logical. LOL

      Delete
    2. At work we have auto-door openers you can hit with your elbow and there is a trash can right next to the door. The auto openers are for those with mobility challenges, but everyone uses them to avoid exactly what you described above.

      Delete
  2. I remember that at my grandparents' house. didn't know about the twinkle-twinkle little star reminder :) good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those! I can't remember the last time I saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I do remember those! The ones I remember had white towels that were textured with small bumps (kinda like pillows, but not). I can't think when was the last time I saw one.

    ReplyDelete