Sunday, September 10, 2023

10 on the 10th - September 2023

 

Joining Marsha over at Marsha in the Middle for this month's 10 on the 10th - all things related to September or nine.

1.  Favorite nine-letter word - that's a tough one.  I had to Google nine-letter words to see if any looked like they could be a favorite.  I chose checkmark.  I know, lame, huh?  However, I love to organize and there is no better way to organize than to have lists.  What do you do with something on your list when it is complete?  Check it off.  I also love the expression "check, check, check" when something is accomplished or enjoyed or just ticked off your list.
2.  A song - I wanted to say September by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons but when I went to post the video, I realized it was DECEMBER, not September.  Oh, dear, don't they say the memory is the first to go!  So, I'll have to fall back on Earth, Wind, and Fire, it really is an awesome song.


3.  A celebration - this guy has a birthday!  He may not be famous to all of you but he's number one in my book.


4.  Favorite pirate - In my younger years, and even as a mom watching Disney with my daughter, Peter Ustinov's Blackbeard's Ghost has to be the favorite.


Of course, I'd be crazy if I didn't admit that Jack Sparrow ranks pretty high up on my list, too!


5.  Pet Peeve - I guess it would be that the stores skip right over the fall holidays and move onto Christmas.  Now, I'm a diehard Christmas lover but I love the leaves and pumpkins of fall and I hate to see them squashed into a corner while Christmas is all over the store.

6.  Stupid Question - I couldn't think of one so I turned to the Internet for help and came across this - https://icebreakerideas.com/stupid-questions-to-ask/ - oh my goodness, I am crying laughing at some of the crazy questions on the list!  Here's a sample - Why is drowsiness listed as a side-effect for sleeping pills?

7.  A memory - That would have to be the birthday trip we took for Vic's 50th to the Williamsburg Winery when we lived in Virginia.  The property is beautiful, the inn stunning, and it was just a delightful weekend.  We started off with lunch at the tavern, checked into our room "Gascony", had a tour and wine tasting, headed back to our room for a nap, and then a delicious dinner in the inn's restaurant.  The following morning, we had a continental breakfast and a drive through the vineyards on our way home.  It was really special.


8.  A celebrity born in September - Colin Firth, born on September 10.


9.  A memory with my grandparents - Both of my grandfathers were gone when I was growing up, so I had only Grandma Lillian on my Dad's side, and Ninny (her name was Elizabeth but we always called her Ninny) on my Mum's side.  Ninny lived in a small ground floor flat that was unbearably cold in every room except the lounge so that's where we spent our time when we visited her.  My most vivid memory is Sunday dinner (I would have been about five because it was before my sister was born) and Dad wasn't around (he traveled a lot for work so Mum and I would often head to England from wherever we were to spend time with her family there) so it was just Mum and me.

Ninny had one of those dining room tables that had leaves that folded down on each side, leaving just a narrow section and on either side was a dining room chair.  Ninny would have pulled up one of the leaves, and moved the armchair over so I could sit at the table on the arm of the chair while she and Mum sat in the dining chairs.  Sunday dinner was lamb with mint sauce, roast potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and gravy.  I can remember it like it was yesterday.  Thinking back on my grandmother makes me wish that I'd lived the kind of life where you grow up around your extended family but then, traveling around as we did with Dad's military career meant we had a lot of amazing experiences we would not have had if we'd stayed around extended family.

10.  Nine pieces - I was really stumped by this one but when I read Joanne's post over at Slices of Life, it came right to me.  A table and eight chairs = nine and we finally completed the kitchen and dining room model in our retirement home and moved the new dining room table and chairs to where they belong.  There are only seven pieces pictured below - we added two more chairs.


And that's a wrap for 10 on the 10th!

1 comment:

  1. Your new dining room is GORGEOUS! I loved hearing all about the memories of your grandparents. And thanks for posting the music video. I love that song since my birthday is actually the 21st of September which they mention! :) Happy birthday month to Vic too.

    ReplyDelete