Monday, September 18, 2023

Hello Monday - September 18, 2023

 

I'm linking up with Holly and Sarah this morning for Hello Monday and a weekend recap.

On Thursday, we had a Portugal-themed dinner.  Nine years ago, on Vic's 20th anniversary of joining the Navy, I started a themed night based on the liberty port countries he had visited.  The first one was Spain, followed by England.  Then we moved, I went back to work, Vic went overseas and then to the East Coast, and I just never got around to getting back to plan.  Since now retirement could be in his not so distant future, I decided to resume the dinners.


The Menu Card - menu largely taken from here


Table decorations - red and green placemats that I had on hand from a Cinco de Mayo celebration years ago, and green and red tulips with the flag (I had gotten as far as thinking about the countries he visited as I seem to have all the flags!)


I turned the appetizer - melon with prosciutto - into an amuse because I didn't think we'd be able to eat an full appetizer and dinner - as it was we didn't have room for dessert.  Vic did an amazing job grilling the chicken and the corn and I served it with the roasted potatoes.  The only thing I forgot was a photo of the Orange Cake which was delicious.

We'll be moving on to Denmark next.

On Friday, we went to the movies to see A Haunting in Venice.


We were disappointed.  It just seemed weird, not at all like a Poirot movie.

On Saturday, I attended an in-person scrapbooking event, the first one in a long time since they've pretty much been virtual since 2020.  Since I'm not driving and have my cane (in case I haven't mentioned it, I'm waiting for knee surgery to be scheduled so somewhat limited in my mobility), Vic came along.  I had a couple of projects in mind for him since he does beautiful detail work and then he brought his laptop to work on a few projects of his own.  The ladies loved him and he spent a lot of his time chatting with them.  It was a fun day.


Vic worked on titles for the cover pages for our Montreal 2013 and Victoria 2016 albums.


I'm so glad to be finally getting to the Victoria 2016 album

Sunday started out as kind of a lazy-ish day - we ran to Costco, how cute is this guy?


How did the gnome explosion begin?  They seem to be everywhere.


Our kitchen window frame was in desperate need of a paint job.  When it was installed, it was painted with a flat white paint so every water splash showed.  Vic taped it up and gave it a few coats of an enamel paint to waterproof it.  While he worked in the kitchen, I continued with the Victoria album.

And that's a wrap of our (extended) weekend.

3 comments:

  1. What a busy weekend! I love that your husband accompanied you to your scrapbooking event. I bet he was a huge hit with the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy theme dinners- yours sound really thoughtful and the one you just made looks so good! The scrapbooking event sounds fun! I have an avid scrap booking friend who goes on numerous weekend away scrap booking events. How fun to get going on some projects!

    ReplyDelete