Thursday, September 28, 2023

Monthly Musings - September 2023

It's the last Thursday of the month and that means it's time for Monthly Musings.  I'm joining Patty and Holly for some fall fun.

1.  Favorite fall traditions - I'd have to say decorating since the days of hayrides, pumpkin patches, and apple orchards are pretty much over for us empty nesters.  The red, white, and blue goes up on Memorial Day and stay up until Labor Day and then it's all things fall.  Love the oranges, browns, yellows of the season.

2.  How do you celebrate Halloween?  We really don't.  We live in a very quiet neighborhood and the only family with young children has moved.  They were our only trick or treaters the first two years we lived here.  Our decorations are fall rather than Halloween so I guess you could say our Halloween celebrations are limited to a viewing of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown with some Great Pumpkin Cookies.


The Great Pumpkin Cookies are from this cookbook.


It was published in 1972 and that's when I first bought it in a Scholastic Book offering in sixth grade.  Who remembers those Scholastic flyers that they handed out at school?  Do they still do that? Years later, Peanuts Cook Book long lost, I was reminiscing about the Great Pumpkin Cookies and turned to, who else?, Ebay.  I'm now the proud owner of a new-to-me Peanuts Cook Book and the Great Pumpkin Cookies are once again in the cookie jar.

3.  Favorite Fall Recipes - In addition to the Great Pumpkin Cookies that I surprisingly (or not) found here on Lost American Recipes, fall is the time for soups, stews, curries, chilis, comfort food.  One of my favorites is this Lamb Korma from Pastured Kitchen which can be eaten over rice, with naan, or just on its own as it's chockful of potatoes and lamb.


4.  Favorite Fall Fashion Pieces - I love L L Bean's bootcut Perfect Fit Pants with a chunky sweater.


5.  How do you decorate for fall? - All my fall decorations are here.

6.  Pumpkin Spice?  Oh yes or over it?  Oh yes, yes, yes please.


I think my initials should be P.S.L.!

7.  Thoughts on candy corn?  Meh, too sweet.  I will, however, take a piece of candy corn over those little candy pumpkin things, ugh.

8.  Favorite Fall/Halloween Movie - It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown has always been an annual event and recently Sophia got me hooked on Hocus Pocus.  How about this for your Lego fan?  There's even an optional light kit to bring it to illuminated life!


9.  Apple pie, pumpkin pie, or cider donut?  All of the above please.  Actually, if I could find the cider donut that we had eons ago on an apple orchard field trip with Sophia's kindergarten class (that's almost 25 years ago), that would be my number one.  Sadly, I've never been able to find one to match up to it.  Maybe I should try to make my own - these look delicious and they are baked!


10.  Bonfire, hayride, or haunted house?  I think bonfire.  Sounds cozy to be curled up around a roaring fire...with my PSL, of course!

9 comments:

  1. I will check out that cider donut recipe. I have never had one of those! The lamb dish sounds good as well. I have never cooked lamb before but maybe it´s time to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers. Fall is such a nice time of year with fun things to do and eat. Thank you for the blog visit and enjoy the end of the week and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't do anything for Halloween either our kids have outgrown it and we have never had a single trick or treater living here. I used to love those scholastic flyer and even made an account for our family when I was homeschooling; I was surprised but scholastic let us qualify and I placed quite a few orders for some pretty cheap but wonderful books and crafts and things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever used any of the Sonlight curriculum for history? Oh my goodness, the books they paired with the various history periods was amazing. I think one of Sophia's all-time favorite books is Mara, Daughter of the Nile.

      Delete
  4. That is such a good story about the Peanuts cookbook. Yes, I definitely remember the little Scholastic newspapers for book orders. My kids had them in school too. I'm clicking on the lamb recipe as I think Michael would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I've saved that recipe to make but I will not add the pecans and switch the raisins for chocolate chips. Is that wrong?!?! Also, as a middle school secretary I can confirm that we still hand out the Scholastic flyers! I LOVED those things as a kid!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy to know that there is a whole new generation who will delight in Scholastic! Yes, mix and match the extras as you like. Pecans, walnuts, raisins, chocolate chips, they will all be delicious. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I had never heard of that Peanuts Cookbook but just looked up the cookie recipe and yum! Will definitely try to make those this year- thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am fascinated by the Peanuts Cookbook and the lost recipes website. What a Good resource you shared w us! Thanks for joining us for Monthly Musings.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete