Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 521

From this Side of the Pond

I'm joining Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond for the Wednesday Hodgepodge.  Click on the photo above for the link.

1.  It's officially fall y'all.  In the northern hemisphere anyway.  Any signs of it where you are?  What is your favorite thing about this time of year?

Yes, fall has come to the Pacific Northwest.  Cool crisp mornings, rainy days, leaves changing on the trees, love it!  I love the house all decorated for fall, soups, stews, curries, and chilis for dinners, and pumpkin spice everything!

2. Have you visited any 'falls' in person? Tell us about one of your favorites? Of the following top ten famous falls (according to this site) which would you most like to see in person-

Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe/Zambia), Igazu Falls (Argentina/Brazil), Niagara Falls (US/Canada), Angel Falls (Venezuela), Yosemite Falls (California), Dettifoss (Iceland) Kaieteur Falls (Guyana), Plitvice Waterfalls (Croatia), Gullfoss-Golden Falls (Iceland), or Sutherland Falls (New Zealand)

We visited Niagara Falls (on the American side) years ago.  The falls were impressive but the American side was such a dive.  Our hotel was positively scary and it was a major chain.  We couldn't go over to the Canadian side because Vic hadn't done the prep work to visit a foreign country.  Who thinks of Canada as a foreign country?  I'd like to visit Yosemite Falls.  Since they are on this continent, I think it's doable.  Closer to home, we visited this local waterfall.  It was an easy walk and so pretty.

3. What's something you'll miss about summer? 

The longer days - it will be dark in the mornings and dark in the evenings soon.

4. A favorite fall recipe?

I have a pumpkin nut bread recipe and I add mini chocolate chips - it's delicious!

5. Something you enjoy but lately have allowed it to 'fall by the wayside'? 

Reading - I've really let it slide.  When I was working and riding the commuter bus, I read on my lunch hour and on the bus ride home.  That changed when I injured my knee and a few months later, when I gave my notice to retire.  I wasn't riding the bus any longer so that reading time was gone, and then I worked every hour there was to make sure my position was ready for turnover to a new secretary.  That meant hours preparing a desk guide and usually skipping lunch.  I need to make time to read again.  Now that I'm home, there's no excuse not to have a dedicated reading time.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

We took Malone out in the truck when we ran an errand last night.  We passed a man with his dog and Malone went ballistic, almost making a screaming noise and thrashing back and forth.  Something has happened to make him this way.  He's loving and calm at home so we'll wait a few months and consult a trainer for some guidance.

10 comments:

  1. I too said reading has fallen off for me. I have plans to pick up a book soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how pretty the Pacific Northwest is this time of year! Our area is getting there... natural beauty is more subtle here in southwest Ohio but there are some very pretty areas and there is no place like fall to showcase them. I have only been to Niagara Falls on the Canadian side since my sister lives in Canada close to the falls. I would love to see others on that list- agree that Yosemite is likely the only other one that I would see. A girl can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the town on the Canadian side of the falls is lovely. Not as much color around us as we had in our house in the northeastern part of the states. We can be in the nearby mountain towns in 30 minutes or so, and will definitely make some trips that way to see the leaves turning. Still a little early here. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we thought Niagara falls was so run down on the American side too! It was light night and day walking over to the Canadian side (my husband refused to drive "out of the country.") I love hiking near falls and we have seen some really lovely falls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard that about the American side of Niagara Falls. It looks like you have some beautiful falls in Washington! I bet Malone will get better with time and some training. Albie used to go nuts when he saw other dogs, but he has mellowed out a lot now. We worked with having him sit while the other dog passed by and that helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we'll try that. I read that a distraction technique is a good starting place.

      Delete
  6. Hello, several comments have been made that the Canadian side is the side to visit Niagara Falls on... so I guess that is what we will have to do. ;-)
    Happy Weekend! Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a shame. I don't know why it's like that but we'll definitely go back to the Canadian side if we ever visit again.

      Delete
  7. I never got around to commenting on last weeks posts and figured I needed to play catch up. I hate posting and then not commenting. Uggh. We'll see if I get around to posting this week. I still need to decorate. I love all the waterfalls we have in the PNW...I shared quite a few as well. Pumpkin nut bread sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day sometimes! I appreciate your stopping by.

      Delete