Friday, July 20, 2018

Christmas in July 2018 - Day Twenty-One


How to display natural items like pinecones, greenery, and flowers - in a word, or two, I don't.  I don't use real greenery for the same reason I don't have a real tree, it's just too messy.  When we lived in Rhode Island and Sophia was in 4-H, we went to a greens workshop every fall to make wreaths and centerpieces.  I can remember dreading every year - it seemed to me to take forever to get that sticky, sappy stuff off of my hands and anything else it touched!  I wouldn't win any prizes for the wreath I made either, but it was an event for her club and so off we went every year.  I know Sophia and her pals had a lot of fun, but then kids don't really bother about stickiness, do they?


Sophia did a pretty good job on her centerpiece.  The first 4-H club she joined also held a local greens workshop but it was to make greenery baskets - stick the floral foam in a basket and then fill with the greens.  The girls had a lot of fun and the baskets were delivered to a local nursing home so it was for a good cause.

We have a couple of special pinecones on our tree, one is from a ship's Christmas party kids' activity and it's a nice memento of that duty station and the other is was a preschool project.


It has one lone piece of macaroni left on the preschool pinecone!

Although I'm not really a fan of real green, I have always wanted to have an herb wreath.  They come out every year in the catalogs, Williams-Sonoma I think has quite a collection.  They are pricey but I would think that would last for a while and they must smell wonderful.


2 comments: