Wednesday, September 18, 2019

way back when...Wednesday #2

September 20 is National Prisoner of War/Missing in Action Recognition Day

The President of the United States issues an annual proclamation commemorating this national day of observance.  Americans are to offer remembrance, honor, and reverence to those who were a prisoner of war and to those who remain missing in action from our nation's wars.  It is also a day we remember the families of POW/MIA and the sacrifices they have endured.

When I saw this pop up on a news bulletin at the office, it reminded me of the POW bracelet that I wore during the Vietnam War.  All of my friends wore them, metal bracelets that we slipped on our wrists, inscribed with the name and date of a service member who had been captured or was missing in action.

The bracelets were first created in May 1970 by a California student group called Voices in Vital America (VIVA), with the intention that American Prisoners Of War in Vietnam not be forgotten.
The bracelets sold for $2.50 or $3.00.
Those who wore the bracelets vowed to leave them on until the soldier named on the bracelet, or their remains, were returned to America.
Between 1970 and 1976, approximately 5 million bracelets were distributed. - Source:  Wikipedia
 I can remember a group of us gathering at our house one day after school in 1973 as Mum read a list of prisoners of war who were returned by North Vietnam.  Several of my friends were able to remove their bracelets but most of us could not.  I continued to wear my bracelet until it broke and then I think I kept it in my jewelry box but it is gone now.  I don't remember the name of my soldier; I wish I knew then what I know now about memory-keeping and had written his name down somewhere to maybe one day find out what happened to him.

Did any of you wear a POW bracelet?

2 comments:

  1. I had one too. I also don't remember the name of my soldier but I do remember wearing that bracelet and praying for him during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I had one too. I'm thinking mine broke as well. I remember keeping it in a large black and red lacquer jewelry box that my b-i-l sent back for me from a leave during the war. And like you, I often wish I had kept the name.

    ReplyDelete