Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 386

 

It's been a while since I hodgepodged but it's always so fun.  Check it out at From this Side of the Pond and join us!

1.  What's one thing you learned at the ripe old age of whatever age you are now?

To let go of anything that doesn't make me happy - I don't have time for drama or negativity.

2.  I read here a list of foods that can help you look younger - 

extra virgin olive oil, green tea, fatty fish, dark chocolate, vegetables, flaxseeds, pomegranates, avocados, tomatoes, spices, bone broth

How many of the foods listed have you tried?  I've tried all of them in one form or another although I'll pass on green tea and flaxseeds, and, as my Dad would say, I'm not really bothered about pomegranates.  How many do you eat regularly?  EVOO, fatty fish, dark chocolate, vegetables, avocados, tomatoes, spices, and bone broth (my favorite brand is Kettle & Fire). Your favorite from the list?  Avocados, you can take the girl out of California, but you can't take California out of the girl!  Favorite way to eat them is on a BLTSA - bacon, lettuce, tomato, shrimp, and avocado sandwich, first tried at The Cheescake Factory and recreated regularly since then.

3.  Something you miss from the "good old days"?  When were the good old days anyway?

They were definitely pre-COVID-19!  I can consider a few chapters of my life as the good old days but the best ones were when Sophia was a preschooler.  We had so much fun with so many activities, crafts, outings, play dates with friends.  She was such an easy child and I really miss those days.


4.  What are two or three of the most rewarding things to be found in growing older?

So many amazing memories of happy times and loved ones, and life-long friends who are so special to me.

5.  What's your favorite part of your life right now?

Making plans for retirement - it's still a few years away but I am a planner and I am enjoying working on our forever home.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

A television-only experience...this will be interesting.  You should be able to click on the photo to enlarge if the print is too small.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness does that sandwich you described sound delicious! I'm not really an avocado fan, but I don't think I'd mind it at all in that combo. Your daughter was a cutie and she must be about the same age as mine...I recognize the Hunchback of Notre Dame setting. Not one of Disney's more popular movies but my girl loved Esmerelda. How in the world will they duplicate the parade without actually having it??? Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my girls' preschool days as well. Since we are moving, I have been going through lots of pics and becoming quite melancholy. Hope you have a wonderful week, dear Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the preschool days being the good ole days. Such a sweet time and so much fun. Thanks for sharing your hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the hodgepodge! I saw on the news yesterday that the big balloons will be tethered to vehicles instead of having a balloon crew. My husband commented that it will be interesting to see the vehicles control the balloons in case of wind, around corners and avoiding light posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the preschool days with my children too! Covid has ruined so many things in our lives, the parade sure won't be the same either *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avocados are also my favorite but I have never had a BLTSA. And to think I have always been content with just a plain BLT. Your girl was adorable and I can understand why you would miss those sweet days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade -- I can't imagine how that will ever be the same. But we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, wonderful memories of places we've visited and friends who have stuck it out with us.
    California avocados picked straight from your tree! (actually that would be my hubby's fave--I am allergic to avocados) But picking fresh tangerines and lemons from our trees--only in SoCal!
    What a sweet photo of your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so disappointed about The Thanksgiving Day Parade news. I may just find a recording of a previous year's parade and play that. I don't agree but then no one asked me ;) Sad times for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely feel like the Macy's parade is going to lose a lot in a TV only viewing. I understand the reason, but think it will be very strange. I too avoid drama and negativity as much as I can. So many people thrive on it these days. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed visiting yesterday so thank you for stopping by today so I could remember to come and read your hodgepodge. I read your about me and I'm a lover of all things Great Britain. We were supposed to be there right now but had to cancel due to COVID. UGH. We also live in Washington state but in the far northeast corner. Growing up in Southern California I remember picking avocados off our neighbor's tree. Avocado on toast was a favorite. Hope you have a good rest of the week and we are all hoping for that smoke to go away!!

    ReplyDelete