Tuesday, April 2, 2024

B is for Battenberg


 

Battenberg is a light sponge cake with different sections held together with jam. Traditionally, the cake is covered in marzipan and, when cut in cross section, displays a distinctive two-by-two check pattern alternately colored pink and yellow and the jam is apricot.  Today, there are numerous variations - coffee and walnut (brown and yellow cake), chocolate mint (brown and green cake), tiger (brown and orange cake), and many others.

The Battenberg cake holds a special place in British baking history. Its origins can be traced back to the late 19th century when the marriage of Princess Victoria, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria, to Prince Louis of Battenberg provided the inspiration for this delightful treat. The cake was named after the royal family as a way to honor the occasion.

One of the distinguishing features of a Battenberg cake is the layer of marzipan that enrobes it. Marzipan, a paste made from ground almonds and sugar, adds a distinct flavor and texture to the cake. It also helps to maintain the moisture and freshness of the cake.

The marzipan layer not only contributes to the taste but also plays a crucial role in the visual appeal of the cake. When wrapped around the two-color sponge cake, it creates a neat and elegant finish, enhancing the overall presentation of the Battenberg.

It is important to ensure that the marzipan used in a Battenberg cake is of high quality. Its smoothness and pliability make it easier to work with, allowing you to achieve the desired shape and texture.

My favorite Battenberg for afternoon tea is Mr. Kipling's brand as they are mini Battenbergs and can be sliced in dainty slices for your tiered server.  I have been known to return from a visit to the UK with a carrier bag full to the brim with boxes of mini Battenbergs!  They freeze very well.

If you are outside the UK, they can be found at British food shops or online.

You can find the recipe from The Great British Baking Show here.

B is also for Bettys Harrogate, a famous afternoon tea venue, but I'll cover that in a later post.

11 comments:

  1. Battenburg (spelt differently) is also the name for the coloured markings on police cars and ambulances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love marzipan! In Austria and Germany, there are candies called Mozart Kugeln (balls) that consist of a marzipan interior that is covered in chocolate. So good! I think for certain that I would love this cake. You´re blogging every day this month? Yah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those candies! Military commissaries always have a selection of German products and marzipan is one of them. I buy marzipan pigs for New Year's as well, they are supposed to bring good luck and of course, they are delicious! Yes, every day except Sunday this month, all about tea time.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried this kind of cake but now I want to!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to try this cake. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I have a major sweet tooth, so I'm a sucker for just about any dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks good. I have never had them, but they look similar to petite fours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried this! Such a pretty cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts are running to a sweet Battenberg quilt made in pink and yellow with a narrow white sashing around each block made of four squares...and maybe just a tad bit of Battenberg lace as an accent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Battenberg is one of my favourite cakes, it reminds me so much of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete