Monday, April 8, 2024

G is for Granary Bread

 

A couple of the finger sandwich offerings in yesterday's post used granary bread.

Granary bread is a type of bread that is made from granary flour, a blend of ingredients such as malted flour and wheat flakes.  These components contribute to its distinctive taste and texture.  Some granary breads have seeds for extra crunch.

I grew up with Hovis bread made from high wheatgerm wholemeal flour, purchased from the bakery as loaves, and then taken home to be sliced and eaten.  Granary is a trademark of the Hovis brand, rather than a specific bread type of flavor.  Hovis granary bread flour is available online from British food shops.

The way we used to buy Hovis bread from the bakery, shown here as a regular size loaf and a mini loaf


Hovis bread today as found in supermarkets


A Hovis mug in my collection

When my parents came to stay when we lived in Chicago, Mum could not find an American brand of bread that came even close to the bread she bought in England.  She would say that all of it was too sweet.  As we trekked off to the supermarket each week, it became known as the Great Bread Caper!  One of those memories that seems so precious now.

5 comments:

  1. Is it comparable to wheat bread that you can buy here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, and it's hard to describe why if you haven't tasted both American bread and British bread. It's just different. When I eat wheat bread here, I don't think of it as tasting sweet but it is compared to a British wheat bread.

      Delete
  2. I grew up eating Hovis bread and now mix between that and Warburtons depending what is on special offer. I never thought of American bread tasting different, I just assumed that bread is one of those things that taste the same world wide. How interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought Hovis at times when we lived there, but also other varieties. The thing about the bread that I remember, as well as the produce, is that it went bad (mold) very quickly. This just tells me that our commercial bread is loaded with preservatives here in the US, and our produce is picked long before it is ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story, I look forward to seeing more of your posts. My post today was about a holiday called Zoo Lovers Day. https://dave-homeschooldad.blogspot.com/2024/04/a-to-z-2024-g-is-for-going-to-zoo.html

    ReplyDelete