Saturday, April 13, 2024

L is for Loose Leaf Tea

 

The sign of a quality afternoon tea is when they serve loose leaf tea instead of teabags. You get a strainer to put over your teacup to catch all the solids.


Don’t forget to use the strainer, otherwise you’ll get a mouthful of soggy leaves!


I have borrowed liberally from the Harrods Afternoon Tea Menu for information regarding tea.  To me, there is only one tea, English Breakfast.  I've been drinking it all my life; I don't ever remember there not being a kettle ready to boil and a teapot ready to fill.  Tea with milk, that's it.  None of that fruity herbal stuff, my Mum would swoon at the mere thought!  Ok, when I was fifty-something, I was introduced to a fruity herbal tea, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.  However, old habits die hard and English Breakfast is my go-to.  Boring?  Maybe, but every sip reminds me of home and Mum and that is precious to me.

Afternoon tea establishments cater to all tea tastes and have a variety of exotic blends (Lapsang Souchong, anyone?).  This is your chance to try something new, after all if you don't like it, they will be happy to bring you a pot of something different.

Harrods has no less than 24 different teas (I choose Harrods because they had the most variety of teas on their menu) broken down into the following categories:

CLASSIC TEAS
Signature and special blends.
Harrods has been creating exquisite tea blends since 1849. The fine art of blending can be compared to creating a delicate new perfume, where the potential combinations are endless. No matter which tea you choose, our expertise and commitment to quality are brewed into every cup.  (My English Breakfast falls into this category)

BLACK TEAS
Black tea involves all five basic steps of tea production (plucking, withering, rolling, oxidising and firing). The leaves are allowed to fully oxidise during this process. Production is typically completed within a day, and the liquors range from dark brown to deep red in colour. 

GREEN TEAS
To make green tea, freshly picked leaves are pan-fired (Chinese method) or steamed (Japanese method) at a temperature hot enough to inhibit the natural oxidation process and encapsulate in the processed leaves all the richness of the fresh ones. This ensures distinctive and sophisticated tasting notes with major health benefits due to the preserved high level of antioxidants and active ingredients.

OOLONG TEAS
Oolong teas span a broad spectrum of colours, between green and black, determined by the level of oxidation of the leaf. This process is carried out repeatedly, sometimes over the course of days, creating a beautiful layering or ‘painting’ of aroma and flavour. Oolongs typically have a more complex flavour than green or white teas; with very smooth, soft astringency, they are rich in floral or fruity flavours, making them ideal for those new to tea drinking.

WHITE TEAS
White tea is essentially unprocessed tea. The name is derived from the fuzzy white ‘down’ that appears on the unopened or recently opened buds – the newest growth on the tea bush. White tea is simply plucked and allowed to wither dry. The leaves are not rolled or shaped. White teas produce very pale green or yellow liquor and are the most delicate in flavour and aroma.

HERBAL TEAS
Known as tisanes, herbal teas are caffeine-free infusions of herbs and plant extracts. Arguably, most herbal teas find their roots in ancient Egypt. The first recorded mention of camomile being enjoyed as a drink was in a document known as the Ebers Papyrus, in 1550 BC. Peppermint has been used as a caffeine-free home remedy to aid digestion and soothe the stomach for millennia, dating back to the ancient Greeks, who would rub tables with peppermint to make dining more pleasant.

Do you have a favorite tea?

5 comments:

  1. Super interesting to learn more about the types of tea! I like black tea and herbal. My mom was a coffee drinker. I didn´t have tea until I was an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some loose tea in my Amazon cart. Very recently read The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See, and it was all about tea raised by a mountain community in China. Really interesting and made me want to try some different types.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I grew up where the tea kettle was always boiling and the teapot always full.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only tea I really love is green tea. I'm confused though and English is my second language so this may be why. Is a strainer what you'd put the tea leaves into while putting them into your mug? I mean, here in the Netherlands we have strainers that are like double spoons that you actually hang into your teacup. You may've provided a picture of the kind you use but I am blind so cannot see it. If I envision it correctly, the kind you use actually sits on the edges of the cup over the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are envisioning it correctly. The strainer is similar to a double-handled shallow piece of tableware with mesh in the center. You place it over your teacup and pour the tea through the mesh center, thereby catching the tea leaves so that only the liquid goes into your cup. There is usually a small separate dish that holds the strainer until you need to use it again.

      Delete