Thursday, April 4, 2024

D is for Dishes

 

I should be going with C for China or T for Tableware but since they have been or will be used for other Tea Time posts, I'm going with D for Dishes today.

Afternoon tea is a special occasion and what could be more lovely than to have beautiful china on which to serve it?  It's a chance to gather up whatever china you have and make it a memorable event.

Probably the most common china used in many afternoon teas is Royal Albert's Old Country Roses.  You will see it featured in many period dramas.  It really is beautiful.


A teacup and saucer are a great start as well as a small plate.

Even more special if your budget and space can accommodate it would be a teapot, creamer, and sugar bowl set.

Other china patterns that I think look lovely are Mikasa's Love Story or Fortnum and Mason's St. James.  Love Story is a set my husband gave me for our anniversary one year and St. James is what I hope is still in use at Fortnum and Mason in London when we get a chance to visit for afternoon tea.

Just as special would be any china handed down in your family or thrift store finds.  I have been collecting Old Country Roses since the 1980s but when a friend found a complete set at a consignment shop, I ran down to pick it up.  I have plenty of pieces should I ever need to replace one.

Next on your list should be a three-tier server.  I purchased this one, the Dublin Crystal Three-Tiered Round Serving Stand from Bed Bath and Beyond but I see it's available at Wayfair right now.  I love that I can exchange the three crystal plates for Old Country Roses plates or any other china pattern.


Finally, a few serving pieces are a nice touch.  Sandwich tongs, small spoons for the clotted cream and jam, and some sort of server for the small desserts.

You are all set for your first afternoon tea at home!

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool that you have a set of Old Country Roses! It is beautiful. I do not have a tea set but would like one. That blue set that is in one of your pictures is stunning! Oh, I would have trouble picking out a tea set- I would want them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine china, silver and specialty serving plates and such remind me of my mother, who valued such items passed down from previous generations. It's a shame that we so many have lost the art of serving guests elegantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roses set is absolutely lovely! I have a few cups and saucers, none of which match the others, but no teapot, nor sugar and creamer.

    ReplyDelete