Saturday, April 6, 2024

F is for Finger Sandwiches

 

I have a very sweet tooth but if faced with a choice between the afternoon tea dessert layer or the savoury sandwich layer, I'd pick the sandwich layer every time.  I've listed a selection of sandwich offerings at a variety of tea rooms below from both sides of the Atlantic.  Each sandwich is served on very thin bread, interesting to note the variety of breads used, and most often sliced horizontally but also in triangles.


The Lanesborough, London, Queen Charlotte Tea (a special promotion in celebration of the new season of Bridgerton):

Tea cured salmon, lemon and caper cream
Coronation chicken, golden raisin, fresh coriander
Devilled egg mayonnaise, mustard cress
Organic cucumber, cream cheese, basil and chive
Montgomery cheddar scone, cheese custard


The Ritz, Mayfair, London:

Ham with grain mustard mayonnaise on brioche bread
Cheddar cheese with chutney on tomato bread
Cucumber with cream cheese, dill and mint on granary bread
Breast of chicken with tarragon creamed mayonnaise on malt bread
Scottish smoked salmon with lemon butter on sourdough bread
Egg mayonnaise with chopped shallots and watercress on brioche roll


Betty's Harrogate:

Smoked salmon, lemon butter, herb cream cheese, cucumber and pickled red onion
Roast beef, horseradish and shallot crème fraiche
Truffle egg mayonnaise and chive

The Savoy, London

Traditional Coronation Chicken with raisins and mango chutney on granary bread
Burford brown egg with horseradish sauce and watercress on malted brown bread
Sherry picked cucumber with mint-infused cream on tomato bread
Scottish smoked salmon with yuzu and dill cress on spinach bread
The Savoy also features two savoury bites:
Asparagus puree with buffalo mozzarella and crispy shallots savoury tart
Artichoke with morel mushroom and garlic flower in brioche bun


Fairmont Olympic, Seattle, Washington:

Smoked salmon and crème fraiche blini
Chicory roasted turkey and cranberry tarragon aioli on potato bread
Truffle egg and watercress on onion rye
Crab croquette with petit herbes and caviar
Apple melt with crisp apple, whipped Boursin, and Comte

The Palm Court at The Plaza, New York City:
English cucumber with mint labneh, lemon zest, tarragon, and pickled mustard seeds on white bread
Moroccan spiced lamb almond dukkah with pickled red onion on white bread
Pastrami smoked salmon with onion soubise, lime, salmon caviar on spinach bread
The egg sandwich with strawberry jam, paprika on white bread
Cambozola & Cotton Candy Grapes with wild honey, candied walnut in a tomato tart shell


As you can see, smoked salmon, Coronation chicken, cucumber, and egg mayonnaise feature in almost all of the menus.  Almost all tearooms offer gluten-free options as well.

Coronation Chicken is a delicious sandwich filling that was developed to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 as a cold dish of poached chicken with a curry cream sauce.  It often features as the filling for a sandwich in many afternoon teas.  You can find a recipe here.

Do you have a favorite tea sandwich?

8 comments:

  1. The sandwiches at the Fairmont Olympic all sound good.The last one mentioned at the Ritz with the cotton candy grapes cracked me up. The name of the grapes is so unrefined (though I love those kinds of grapes!). Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only had cucumber sandwiches with a tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same, I love sweet things but I would prefer some nice sandwiches instead. I think I would go for The Ritz one's, I bet they taste amazing but they still keep it simple without too much faff and fanciness! My favourite is egg mayonnaise with cress or ham and mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so-so on sweet things, but I love a good sandwich or the little tea sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never partaken in tea sandwiches but the pictured displays are lovely! And based on TV and movies, I thought more were cut into triangles than not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat finger sandwiches every. single. day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I remember exactly what we had in Tipperary. I want to say it was a foie gras pate, but I'm not sure. Definitely some kind of soft meat. It was much tastier than I expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's eleven p.m. here, and now my mouth is watering. Out of curiosity, what would be the upper limit of these delightful little sandwiches one could consume without inviting the horrified stares of neighboring tables? ;)

    ReplyDelete