Monday, April 22, 2024

S is for Scones

 

Whether it's an afternoon tea at a posh venue or at home or a cream tea in a tearoom, there will always be scones.

There are usually two types - plain and rich.  Rich scones have raisins or today, a variety of dried fruits or other additions.

I've always used the Be-Ro cookbook recipe for scones.  Be-Ro is a food manufacturing business with products such as flour and baking powder and later a variety of other products.  Thomas Bell, the founder, developed the world's first self-rising flour.  My Mum had the Centenary Edition of the cookbook which I believe is from 1975 as Be-Ro was founded in 1875.  I currently have the 41st edition which, sadly, is only available in the UK.  I was fortunate to have a UK friend order and send me a copy.


I also highly recommend Mary Berry's recipe for scones which you can find here.  


Oven temperature 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7 is 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Scones are traditionally served with a berry (no pun intended!) jam (strawberry or raspberry) and clotted cream.  Often lemon curd is served as well.

5 comments:

  1. I love scones (though does anybody not?!)! I have made scones a couple of times. I didn´t feel like mine turned out great but it´s probably like most things and takes some practice to get just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scones!
    I remember my mum having a Be-Ro cookbook that we used to use when we baked.
    I always have mine with cream and strawberry jam, I've never tried with lemon curd before. Why haven't I thought of that before. Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alec as made scones a few times for us and I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, now I want to make some scones! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love scones, clotted cream and strawberry jam :) How lovely you have that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete