Wednesday, April 10, 2024

I is for Indulgent


When Vic returned from a seven-month deployment and a few months before we left Washington to return to Virginia, I planned a long weekend getaway to Victoria, British Columbia.  Top on my list was afternoon tea at the Fairmont Empress Hotel.  The Fairmont Empress Hotel commonly referred to as The Empress is one of the oldest hotels in Victoria and designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1981.  To describe it in a word, I'd say majestic.  And to describe the afternoon tea, indulgent.


Afternoon tea is served in the Lobby Lounge.


The tea is served on the Royal Empress China Collection, selected by Queen Elizabeth and King George V for dining at The Fairmont Empress in 1939.


If you want a set for afternoon tea, you can find it here.  It's out of stock right now but they will notify you when it comes available.


The menu from our tea (photo below) - the price has increased significantly from $75 to $95 per person


I am kicking myself for not splurging on the tea set, I love this teapot and warmer


Dessert layer (clockwise) - mini carrot banana loaf, citrus fennel shortbread, chocolate cremeux dome tart, passion fruit strawberry pavlova and in the center, pistachio raspberry delice

Scone layer - warm Empress raisin scone with clotted cream and strawberry lavender preserve

Sandwich layer - (left to right) hand peeled local shrimp, egg and chive salad (front), smoked steelhead salmon and cucumber (rear), honey ham

Indulgent, yes?

4 comments:

  1. Oh that definitely look indulgent and oh so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience to indulge in! Yikes to that price increase... my sister lives in Canada and sadly shares examples of crazy high prices she has to pay for every day things plus her provinces huge tax on top of that. Anyway, I digress. Afternoon tea in British Columbia at that historic hotel sounds lovely! Swooning at the menu...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, goodness!
    It must be an absolutely delightful experience!
    I mean... that lounge...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible experience. I have been to Victoria, but not to tea at the Fairmont there!

    ReplyDelete