Friday, January 27, 2017

5 on Friday

Click on the button to join in

Travelling Thursday will be back next week - I was busy travelling to the airport to pick up Vic from his business trip (Mobile, Alabama Check mark symbol on his Places I've Visited list) so I didn't get a chance to add another update to Rollin' on the River 2017.  Here we are - the end of the week already and that means it's time for 5 on Friday.

ONE
Have you heard of the Day Zero Project?  It's a great way to make a bucket list and check off the items as you complete them.  I started mine in 2010 - 101 Things in 1001 Days.  Sad to say, but I only completed 15 of the 101 things between 2010-2013.  I need to go back and make another, shall we say more realistic, list.  Check it out here.  I really like the Top 101 under the Explore tab - the most popular item right now is Donate Blood.  I know that's not on your list, Caroline!

TWO
Since last week's post went up before the Inauguration events began, can I just put this here - no matter what your politics or feelings may be about the current administration, our new First Lady looked stunning.


THREE
Is there anything worse than arriving at your destination before your luggage?  Vic flew out on Sunday on his first inspection tour - safe to say that he was a bit apprehensive about the whole event - and when the carousel was empty and he was left suitcase-less, that certainly didn't help.  He filed a report and I have to say that American Airlines was very good about keeping us updated by email about the status of the lost luggage case.  The suitcase was located and delivered to his hotel (albeit at close to 1:00am - no going back to sleep after that little interruption) and fortunately, he planned ahead and took a spare set of everything he would need on the first day...just in case.

I think there should be a compensatory fee when the airlines misplace or misroute your luggage.  After all, most charge around $25 for a checked bag, right?  I think I'd be a little more agreeable if the airline representative handed me my found luggage and a $25 check or voucher, wouldn't you?


FOUR
Twenty years ago, I was introduced to MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers).  I made some amazing friendships with women whose lives revolved around their children and their active duty military spouse.

MOPS is a grassroots movement that believes moms are world influencers…
We believe that incubating hearts and giving just-because-hugs can change the course of history. That’s why we connect moms all over the world to a community of women, in their own neighborhoods, who meet together to laugh, cry and embrace the journey of motherhood. MOPS groups are rallying women to be more honest, to feel more equipped and to find our identity by journeying alongside one another.
MOPS stands for Mothers of Preschoolers, and by preschoolers we mean kiddos from birth through kindergarten. We know it’s a little confusing so let’s just stick with “MOPS.”
We are moms, and we believe that better moms make a better world.
From http://www.mops.org/

Twenty years later, nine of the women will gather at a lakefront cabin to celebrate our friendship and the years that have gone by.  Things have changed - our preschoolers are in college, college graduates, parents, active duty military members.  I am the only one left who is still an active duty military spouse, the others have seen their spouses retire from the military, or leave for a career in the civilian world, or just leave altogether and be replaced by a new spouse.  We've traveled across the country and across the world, yet the bonds of friendship are still as strong now as they were then.  I can't wait for the Sisterchicks Reunion!

Sisterchicks, by the way, is the name of a series of books by Robin Jones Gunn, amazing stories of friendships between women.  That's what we're calling ourselves - the Sisterchicks.

FIVE
How happy I was to find three seasons of the Great British Bake Off available with my PBS Passport subscription!  I've been enjoying the Masterclasses but three whole seasons, I'm in viewing heaven.

3 comments:

  1. I read all of those sister chicks books! Loved them.
    So cool that you've stayed in touch for 20 years with your mops group. I bet the reunion will be wonderful.
    So frustrating when the bag goes missing. That happened to me once and they didnt get my bag until 3 days later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Sisterchicks series! Actually EVERYTHING by Robin Jones Gunn :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bake Off is such fun, isn't it?! I don't know if you know of the "sister" show "The Great Britrish Sewing Bee" (or something like that) I'm not a sewer so it didn't grab me. There's also a Great British Pottery Show (or whatever) as well. It's Bake Off all the way for me - what a disappointment that it's moving to Channel 4 with only Paul Hollywood going with it. I'm sure the BBC will try to produce something with Mary Berry and Mel and Sue, but will it be the same? Who knows!

    ReplyDelete