Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 294


It's been a while since I've joined the Wednesday Hodgepodge.  Click on the link above if you want to join in.

1.  "The cure for anything is salt water-tears, sweat, or the sea." (Isak Dinesan)  Would you agree?  Of the three, which has 'cured' you most recently?

Sounds good to me.  Most recently, I'd say a good bout of salt water tears.  I did not want to leave Washington, not one bit.  I'm adjusting to the East Coast but grudgingly.  I'll get over it, but a good cry really helped.

2.  What's something you can't eat without salt?  Do you normally salt your food a lot, a little, or not at all?

Hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes.  I don't really care for eggs but I can palate a hard-boiled one with salt, ditto for tomatoes.  For the rest of my food, I'd say I salt a little.

3.  Sands of time, bury your head in the sand, built on sand, or draw a line in the sand...which sandy phrase could best be applied to something in your life right now?

As a military wife and at this stage of my husband's career, I really feel like our lives are built on sand.  How long are we going to be here?  Where are we going next?  How long will we be there?  Where will we go after that?  Are we ever going to get our forever home?  Honestly, the way things change, shifting sands would be a better sandy phrase!

4.  A favorite book, movie, or song with an island setting or theme?

The movie Blue Hawaii, an Elvis oldie but goodie.


5.  Yesterday-did you run your day or did it run you?  How so?

I ran it and I triumphed.  My first full day alone in almost two months.  I had an agenda and I ticked off the boxes one by one.  I feel so accomplished, even though I probably fueled the whole day on coffee!

6.  You're on an island holiday.  Will I most likely find you parked in a beach chair, shopping in town, on the back of a jet ski, or snorkeling off the back of a catamaran?

Shopping in town, without a doubt.  A close second would be parked in a beach chair,  but only if it was by the side of a sparking pool at a luxury resort.  Waiter, another cocktail, please!

7.  What do you think we humans most take for granted?

How can we take anything for granted these days?  I wrote a long paragraph that was just so depressing that I deleted it so I'll just say this - don't take anything for granted - job stability and a comfortable retirement, your health, your children's education, our environment - make a plan and a backup plan, live within your means, cherish your family above all else, and do your part to make our world a better place for future generations.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I went on an outing with my spouses' group to our local correction facility.  A field trip to the jail, you say?  How bizarre!  Yes, it was a little but it was also an eye-opening experience to see what law enforcement deals with on a daily basis.  So many young people incarcerated, their lives forever marked by a jail term, perhaps only for a relatively minor infraction.  What were their lives like to lead them down a path of crime?  No role models, perhaps?  Abuse of some sort, domestic or drugs or alcohol?  Mental illness?  We take for granted that we live in a free society, but abuse of that freedom has terrible consequences.  It was a very sad experience, one that will be with me for some time.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so behind reading blogs, I don't think I realized you moved. Moving is always fraught with emotion, and I think the older we get the harder it becomes. I'm glad you're out and about and I hope it all feels like home very soon. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Hawaii...what a great choice! I can only imagine what an eye-opening experience visiting the jail was for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of pool at luxury resort and waiter bringing fruity cocktails with umbrella in it!!
    I used to do prison ministry for many years. It was faith based like a bible study. Its something i feel everyone needs to do at least once, it definitely puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked your random comment. Visiting a jail is an eye-opener for sure. Incredibly, some people land in jail (short-term, to be sure) for very minor things.

    Thanks for visiting my blogs! Be sure and share on your blog if you make any of the Christmas Star doilies/dishcloths. It's a fun pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a bit of salt on my eggs too! I think your trip to he jail sounds interesting. I wish jr. highs would take the students on a jail trip, hopefully it would scare them so that they wouldn't end up there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a bit of salt on my eggs too! I think your trip to he jail sounds interesting. I wish jr. highs would take the students on a jail trip, hopefully it would scare them so that they wouldn't end up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... I had to read that sentence twice about you "outing." Sounds interesting and very sad. You are so right about taking nothing for granted! Have a wonderful week and I hope there are no more tears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regarding #4...anything with Elvis is a goodie. :) I had the biggest crush on him when I was young. I had an Elvis poster that I kissed goodnight every night and ended up wearing the lips off of it. haha I had a John Wayne poster, too, but his lips were safe from getting worn off. :)

    I like salt and pepper, too, on hard-boiled eggs. When I was little, this was the only way I liked to eat eggs and only at Easter.

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete