Thursday, January 12, 2017

Travelling on Thursday - Vic's Birthday Edition


I wanted to plan a memorable trip for Vic's big milestone birthday this year so I asked him where he would like to go.  I had a few suggestions - Hawaii, Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas, Walt Disney World, a Disney Cruise, or cruising up or down the Mississippi on the American Queen Steamboat.  Guess which one he picked?

All things falling into place (a. a job for me and b. no schedule conflicts for Vic), we'll be rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river this fall.


I've never been on a steamboat before (unless you can count that trip to Tom Sawyer's Island at Walt Disney World!) so I sent off for the American Queen Steamboat Company's brochure to check them out.  It looks like so much fun!  Lots of relaxing on board, entetainment if you want it, yummy cuisine, lots of shore excursions, and an all-around unique experience.

We looked at the various offerings, length of stay and itinerary determining the cost, and decided that the 9-day Jewels of the Lower Mississippi (New Orleans to Memphis) plan suited us best.  We'll add on a post-cruise stay in Memphis so that we can go to Graceland which we missed on our trip from Washington to Virginia.

The itinerary includes stops in Oak Alley and St. Francisville, Louisiana; Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi; and Helena, Arkansas with one day of river cruising before we reach Memphis.

So, travel along with me on Thursdays as I explore each of these stops and plan our steamboat experience.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this looks like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trip sounds like the most fun ever, I've always been deathly afraid of boats and so on, but I have to admit your cruise of sorts sounds delightful! I hope you have a splendid week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! The planning and anticipation is half the fun!

    ReplyDelete