Tuesday, March 5, 2024

If this is Tuesday, it must be England #163

Couldn't resist making this today's If this is Tuesday post as it brought back such wonderful memories when I saw it on Facebook (sadly, I didn't write the name of the page and when I went back to FB, it had moved on, so frustrating!).  This was breakfast more often than not when I lived at home.  The eggs were served in an egg cup, with an egg cozy on top.  Mum would take it off and remove the top of the eggshell.  I can't remember how old I was before she stopped taking the top off for me.

Egg and Soldiers?
A British term that refers to a piece of toast cut into thin strips reminiscent of the formation of soldiers on parade. The toast is sliced in this manner so that it can be dipped into the opening of a soft-boiled egg that has had the top of its shell removed.
Another belief for the origin of the name is from the childhood rhyme “Humpty Dumpty”. The bread refers to the soldiers who went to rescue Humpty Dumpty when he had his “great fall.”
For runny eggs, boil for 5 - 7 minutes.
Tap the top of the egg with a knife, cut all the way around and peel the shell.
Scoop into the yolk with the toast soldiers.
Image: Sainsbury’s Magazine

 

It's amazing what you can find on the Internet.  Here's my Noddy egg cup and cozy.  My aunt gave me this on one of our visits to her house in Manchester.  Noddy was the creation of one of my favorite childhood authors, Enid Blyton.  Noddy was a wooden boy and along with his friend Big Ears, a gnome, they have all sorts of adventures in Toyland.  Noddy was originally found in books but later there were television adaptations and even a stage production and short film.

2 comments:

  1. I have recently discovered that I can cook soft boiled eggs in my air fryer and they come out perfect every time so I have been having egg and soldiers a lot. That egg cup is so cute, I remember having novelty one's when I was a child, now they are just plain white one's.
    I love Noddy! Up until a few years ago remakes of the TV show for kids was still shown, my girls used to watch it before school. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful memory. Reruns of Noddy were still on when we lived there.

    ReplyDelete