Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 544

 From this Side of the Pond

It's Wednesday, time for the Hodgepodge

1.What do you love about your life right now?

I love that, after a 30-year career in the Navy, Vic is starting a new chapter, a chapter that will be focused around doing what he wants to do.  He's had several chapters in his Navy career focused around being an instructor, an inspector, a safety officer, an electrician, and he's going back to his first love, the electrical side of things.  Whether that's as a marine electrician, a supervisor of an electrical equipment division, or an electrician in a completely different field, we'll see.

2. March 26th is National Spinach Day...are you a fan? If so, how do you like yours prepared/served? 

Spinach is ok - not my favorite as a vegetable, but I enjoy a spinach salad, spinach dip, and I love the dish that Vic discovered earlier this year, spinach-stuffed salmon.

3. In this current season would you say you need to spend more time looking inward or that you need to get out of your head? Tell us why. 

I'm really not sure how to interpret this.  I can't really say that I need to be looking inward but then I don't feel like I need to get out of my head.  Pass.

4. Are you following the 'March Madness' madness? (That's US college basketball in case you're out of the loop) What's something that feels like actual madness to you right now? 

No, I'm not a sports fan so no March Madness for me.  Madness right now?  Politics.  And the way those who spread all sorts of rubbish about the Princess of Wales are scrambling to retract their statements and express their good wishes.  Phonies.

5. How will you celebrate the Easter/Passover holiday this year?

We'll be helping Sophia move into her new apartment.  I'm not sure how ready her kitchen will be for any food prep so I think we'll be picking up some lunch from somewhere.  We are gathering with our small group for an Easter potluck tonight so that will be our Easter celebration.   

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

This one gets me every week!  I'm sure I've had some random thoughts, but can I think of one right now?  How about this one - I saw this headline when I was flipping through the Microsoft Start option that pops up on my new computer when I'm searching for a new webpage - If He Had To Live In A Country That Wasn't The US, Here's Where Rick Steves Would Choose.  Turns out that it's Norway.  Have you ever been to Norway?  Lived there?  Longed to live there?  We live close to Little Norway, the town of Poulsbo that still retains much of its Norwegian heritage having been settled by a large number of Norwegian and other Scandinavian immigrants because of its similarities to their native countries.


I also lived in Norway as a child when my dad was stationed at AFNORTH (Allied Forces Northern Europe) outside of Oslo with the U.S. Army.  We lived in a house with a view of the forest, quite close to Holmenkollen, a mountain and ski recreation area, well-known for its international skiing competitions.


Our wooden house in Norway, Mum and me on the right, with our neighbors Jenny, Jeff and daughter Fiona, on the left.  They were a British family; Jeff was also stationed at AFNORTH.

The view from the back of the house, that's me on the right and Fiona on the left with one of our Norwegian neighbors.

9 comments:

  1. I don't follow March Madness either but definitely agree that politics is usually madness.. especially during election years. I like spinach but I do prefer it cold in a salad rather than cooked in a dish; though I have been craving some spinach pie with those flaky pastry layers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your answers to the questions! That is really neat that you lived in Norway! We have a number of military families living near us (AIr Force because there´s an AFB near us) and I find it fascinating to hear about where they´ve been stationed/ lived. It sounds like much of your life has been influenced by various military locations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Poulsbo, Wa! I’ve been there once a few years ago - a charming town! Here in California we have Solvang.
    My husband served in the Navy 10 years and 10 years in Coast guard before retiring.
    I’m with you on how these bullies are now retracting their mean statements about the Princess. It just shows how cutthroat they are and have always been. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! Wonderful to live in Norway. My sister did for a few years with her family and I was able to visit them there. We also took my father-in-law to see where his family originated. All marvelous trips! My sister and brother-in-law lived in Kongsberg and my f-in-law's family came from not too far away, which was quite a coincidence. Enjoyed reading your Hodge Podge today. Happy Easter if I don't get in touch with you before then. So nice to see photos of you and Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your answers, and love the photos from your time in Norway. Hope you're having a great week1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to visit Norway but never live; too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That salmon looks so good. Do you have a link to a recipe? I'm sure I can probably find one online but if you have one I'd love to know it. Norway is a beautiful country. Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck to Vic in the next chapter of his life. It sounds an exciting time for him.
    I am not a fan of spinach but my girls love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your hubby is getting to do what he loves. That spinach stuffed salmon looks good. I need to try making that. I have never been to Norway. But I think I would like to visit. Thank you for sharing those old photos. Love them.

    ReplyDelete