Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 543

 From this Side of the Pond

It's Wednesday, time for the Hodgepodge!

1. Spring is officially upon us, no matter what the weather may be in your neck of the woods. Is there any 'spring cleaning' on your to-do list? What's your most dreaded task? 

Since Malone joined the family, it seems like every week is spring cleaning week!  If it's not the dog hair, then it's the pine needles or mulch that he tracks in from the back yard, no matter how quickly I try to grab him and wipe his feet.  I suppose my most dreaded task is washing the windows, they really need it.


Then again, I could find a local window washer to take care of the task!

2. What's something many people seem to love, but to you feels like 'watching the grass grow'? 

Fishing, so boring.  I'm glad Vic's not a fan because then I'd feel like I should go with him every once in a while, and that would be like watching paint dry.

3. Mint grows in abundance during the spring season. Are you a fan? What's your favorite food with a 'minty' flavor? 

Not really a mint fan - Thin Mints, Andes Mints, mint chocolate chip ice cream - but I never serve lamb without mint sauce.  Never mint jelly, it's sauce.  Takes me right back to Sunday dinners at my British granny's house.

4. It's been said, 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder.' Agree or disagree? Explain.

Yes, definitely agree.  After all the deployments in Vic's career, my heart is overflowing when I see the ship pull up to the pier. 

5. Are there any festive spring events in your city or town? If so, will you take advantage of them?

Not in our town, but spring is tulip and daffodil season nearby.  So beautiful and such a great place to take photos.


There are also the local farmer's markets, I really would like to make more of an effort to check them out this year.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  

Young people today are getting priced right out of home ownership, it's a tragedy.

15 comments:

  1. We used to live close enough to the tulip fields in Skagit Valley to visit every year but now we live 6 hours away. They are such a special Spring treat! Yes, deployment really keeps your heart engaged and you always anticipate the safe return. What a joy those homecomings are. Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. House prices are insane! I am so glad that we got out first house in '05 and we definitely chose one that was under our budget. Then, we moved in '18, right before things started to skyrocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were fortunate too, it would be a real stretch for us to afford our house now.

      Delete
  3. Regarding #6: Yes, but with the new regs, home sales are likely to improve but make it more difficult for realtors to make a living. I think we will see a definite decrease in people going into that field. Oh the tulip fields are gorgeous and so is that beautiful young lady among the midst of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sophia is very photogenic; I don't think she ever takes a bad photo.

      Delete
  4. When my daughter lived in Tacoma we visited the tulip fields one spring. They were stunning! I love visiting gardens anywhere. I feel like the price of everything is ridiculous, starting with groceries. How do families manage? I was just griping about the dog hair last night so relate to that thought lol. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I see grocery prices on frequent items change from month to month and don't get me started on the price of gas!

      Delete
  5. I saw that housing statistic this week and was so sad for the younger generation. As a single teacher, I bought a house in 1997 for $69k. It was still a stretch on my salary, but I think those days of home ownership are long gone. We are starting to look at apartments for Grace for her graduate school years, and the rent prices are shocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rent is spiraling out of control as well.

      Delete
  6. We have a place near us that grows fields and fields of tulips and it always makes me smile! We live in CT and housing prices are nuts. I think a "starter" home has easily doubled and that's before the bidding wars start. Then you get to pay outrageous property taxes on that for the rest of your life... what we now pay in property taxes each month equal the mortgage payment we made when we bought our first home. None of my boys are even sure they ever want to own a home... but then again rent prices aren't any better. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be that if you couldn't afford to buy, you could rent but that's becoming just as challenging.

      Delete
  7. Hi there - dropping by for the Hodgepodge.
    Beautiful photos of your loved ones with the backdrop of tulips. The map showing the income requirements per state is amazing. I recently had a cousin sell his Salinas home and move to Ohio. Now I see why. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you on the mint! That field of flowers is so pretty as is your daughter sitting in front of the flowers. Great pic of you and Vic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tulips and am looking forward to a tulip festival here later this spring! Your photos in front of the tulips are lovely! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete