Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 559

From this Side of the Pond
It's time for the Wednesday Hodgepodge, click on the graphic above and join us!

1. Do you feel older or younger than your age? Elaborate. 

Apart from my knee issues (which definitely make me feel older), I feel younger than my age.  I don't think I look my age and and I don't feel like I am less than a year away from an old age pensioner bus pass!

2. What's one thing you should toss right now, but just can't? 

My collection of American Girl ornaments from Hallmark.  I have three ornaments each for the original eight girls - Kaya (1764), Felicity (1774), Josefina (1824), Kirsten (1854), Addy (1864), Samantha (1904), Molly (1944), and Kit (1934).  The ornaments were released over three years - 2002 (a Christmas ornament), 2003 (a birthday ornament), and 2004 (a third ornament for each girl that shows them in familiar dress from their era).  I always plan to have a tree dedicated to these ornaments with burgundy bows as an accent, but I haven't done it yet, maybe this will be the year?  Here's a stock photo of some of them to give you an idea.

3. Have you visited many of the 63 National Parks in the US of A? You'll find a list here. Do you have a favorite? What National Park that you haven't seen do you most want to see?

We've visited Olympic, Mount Rainier, Redwoods, Grand Canyon, and Badlands.  So far, our favorite was the Grand Canyon.  Yellowstone would be the one we most want to see, followed by Crater Lake. 

A favorite photo from the Badlands in 2014


Grand Canyon, November 2016

4. How often do you get takeout? What's your favorite? 

We get takeout more often than we should!  Chick-fil-A is a favorite as Vic can pick it up on his way home from work.  We have a local teriyaki place that's good and a local pizza spot.  There are times when we plan to go out to eat but end up just calling in an order and bringing it home.  By the time you add the price of the food to drinks and a tip at the restaurant, it can really add up.

5. Do you have many (or any) subscriptions? Not necessarily magazines but thinking more along the lines of boxes or products that companies offer, and you can sign up to receive on a regular basis. Could be weekly, monthly, quarterly, even daily. Tell us about them. 

I'm currently subscribing to BARKBox monthly for Malone although I don't plan to renew.  He has too many toys (there are usually at least two in each box) and even though his subscription is for the Super Chewer, he destroys them far too quickly.  PetSmart has begun to carry the BARK brand of snacks so it's just as easy to pick them up when I'm out shopping.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I was really impressed with Costco.com's recent service.  I went to both of my local warehouses to find Vanilla Wafers as a VBS donation but neither store carried them.  I went online about mid-day on Friday and placed an order and they arrived on Sunday morning.  Granted, I paid the $12 service charge because I was in just too much of a hurry to place a larger order but still, I was able to get them to the church by the deadline they requested.  Way to go, Costco!

14 comments:

  1. Great pictures at national parks! I would love to make it to the PNW sometime and see the beautiful parks there. Those AG doll ornaments are really neat. I´ll bet if you sold them, you would get waaaaay more than you paid for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind is sometimes definitely than my body!! I have never traveled out west but would love to see the Redwoods. Great job to Costco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never traveled out west but would love to see the Redwoods. Great job Costco!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I knew American Girl Doll ornaments were a thing. I do have an attic full of the original dolls, and all their furniture too. Just waiting on my grandgirls to get a little older and I will start regifting to them. We have Molly, Samantha, Kirsten, Josephina, Kit, and Felicity. Oh and Bitty Baby too. My mom bought them all piece by piece for my girls birthdays and Christmases for years. I also have a couple of the costumes that are kid sized which I saved. Every time we're in the attic my hubs will ask, 'What's in that box?' and almost every time the answer is American Girl doll furniture lol. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really loved the Badlands. It was surreal! Hooray for Costco! The closest ChickfilA to us is 65 miles away! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yellowstone and Bryce Canyon are high on my must see list! We've only started visiting national parks recently but someday I'd like to get to see most all of them (I've done my research and a few I am happy to bypass!). We get takeout maybe once a month.. though lately it seems like that's been happening more and more because our schedules were so busy this spring (and now I've gotten lazy about cooking every night!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our repeat dog toy buys over the past 7 to 8 years have been the 'WestPaw Zogoflex Zisk' (frisbee-ish) and 'Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Baseball', and 'petizer Squeeky Dog Ball Toy'. He plays with his other toys too, but these he plays with EVERY DAY, and they hold up great. The petizer squeeky ball has not lost its squeak...I'm not even sure what makes it squeak, it seems to be only one piece...we haven't replaced it yet, we bought the original in Jan 2024 and it is holding up superbly. I keep spares of these three items in a box on a high, high shelf in laundry room, because we don't ever want to be without them or risk their being discontinued. I think new-dog-toy smell for Rudy is like new-car smell for humans. Sometimes he just goes to the floor under box up high, and stares longingly, and he gets SOOOOO excited if I even go near it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chick Fil A is just about the only fast food my hubby will eat. I love their salads!! I didn't know they made American Girl Doll ornaments! Wow - please post a picture of your tree if you decorate one with them this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a lot of Hallmark Ornaments! I have thought of selling some of them since my kids have a lot already. I know they will want the Disney ones. If I don't do something, the kids will and when I am gone, it won't matter. From my experience, kids don't want things until someone has passed. There is not a Chick Fil A near us. We already eat a lot of chicken, so I will take an In and Out Burger any day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's my back which makes me feel older than I am.
    Your ornaments are so pretty.
    I have heard about Chick-fil-A but we don't have them over here yet, I am sure they are set to open some stores next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely look younger than your age! We have one AG ornament that my mom gave Grace when she was little - before she was into the dolls. It's special since it was a gift from her. I think that is amazing that you have the entire collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The American girl ornaments are just too cute. Hope you can hang them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those doll ornaments are pretty...I bet if you ever get rid of them, some little girls will love them. Enjoyed your answers. I LOVE Costco. They are always so great.

    ReplyDelete