Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 561

 From this Side of the Pond

It's time for the Hodgepodge.  Copy and answer the questions, click on the graphic, and add your link.

1. The Olympics kick off this coming weekend. Will you be watching? If you could watch just one event in person, which one would you choose? 

Yes, we'll be watching, it's a bit like Wimbledon...nothing will be done chez nous while we watch the Olympics.  Since it's the Summer Olympics, I'd vote for watching the equestrian events in person.

2. Have you ever been to Paris? Is this a city you'd like to visit? What's your favorite 'French thing'?

I have never been to Paris, but we are going in 2025!  My favorite "French thing" is my perfume.

3. Macaron, creme brulee, chocolate soufflé, mille feuille, or an eclair...your favorite French patisserie from the ones listed? 

All of the above and more!  


My all-time favorite is the Jeanne d'Arc - Almond melting meringue, light chocolate cream, homemade chocolate shavings


The Great British Baking Show always has a patisserie episode, and the episodes feature many of the desserts on the chart above

4. July 24th is National Cousins Day...do you have many cousins? Are you close to them? Will you see any of your cousins on July 24th? 


The last time my cousins were together (and there were a couple missing) was at a family reunion in 2004.  Sadly, several in the group above are now gone.  Most lived in California but there is also Virginia, Ohio, and Oregon represented.  I'm as close as a phone call away and one cousin has visited us in Rhode Island, Virginia, and in Washington.  No, I won't be seeing any of them on July 24th.

5.  Last time you went somewhere that felt like 'everyone and his cousin' was there? 

Costco on a Saturday or Sunday!  It's always a zoo!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Let's talk about Stanley cups.  Do you have one?  Love it or leave it?  Do you say, "I'd never pay that price for a cup!" or do you think they are a good bargain?  I don't have one, I was a little put off by the lead controversy surrounding them (although that was completely blown out of proportion), and the frenzy at Target was mind-boggling (really, for a cup?), and I continue to be amazed at the Stanley hoopla.  Case in point:






I didn't list the prices (a quick Amazon search will give you the details) - but if you think the cups are expensive, this little lot really adds up!

9 comments:

  1. I went to Paris (and a few other parts of France) in high school. I have such fond memories of that trip and have always wanted to go back. I love most French pastries but croissants (of any flavor!) and macarons are some of my favorites. I don't have a Stanly cup but it's not the cost factor since my Yeti Tumbler isn't much cheaper but I don't like drinking out of straws; or rather I don't like having to keep a straw clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have purchased Stanley cups as gifts for young people because I know they are popular, especially with the young crowd. But I would never buy one for myself. The accessories are insane!! Your favorite French dessert looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some neat ideals! Don't see cousins often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't own a Stanley myself. I have a girlfriend who let me borrow hers for a little while. I am perfectly content with my off brand 40 oz tumbler that stays just as cold. All the accessories are a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a Stanley cup. My friend gave me an insulated thermos type mug with a Bible verse that I like. I don't eat sweets very often. I will try new ones when we go on a cruise in January. The last time I saw my cousins on my dad's side was last year when my uncle died. Some of us keep in touch with Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is fun to have a trip to France on the calendar. That dessert looks amazing. Enjoy the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love equestrian. That poster is neat. I don't own a Stanley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes on the Equestrians events! I forgot to mention that. No Stanley cup for me. My son bought me a Kleen Kanteen that I like a lot. We were at the backpacking store and I admired the salmon color and next thing I know, he bought it! Stanley cups are out of my league!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the Olympics! I need to go smell that perfume.. I love it's name. Enjoy Paris when the time comes

    ReplyDelete