Friday, May 10, 2024

Friday Favorites - The Time Capsule Part 1 of 3

 

One of Joyce's questions on this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge was about a time capsule.  It been many years since I opened the one I put together when Sophia was born (1994) so I thought I'd pull it out and share it here in case any of you were interested in ideas.  Most of my readers have college-age or adult children so perhaps file the ideas away for grandchildren?

First of all, like many first-time moms who go completely overboard, Sophia's time capsule was in three, not one, tins!  There just wasn't room in one for everything I wanted to save.


I couldn't find this particular one, but Amazon has something similar here.


The first tin is the heaviest, it contains all the commemorative publications.


The smaller items include TV Guide, three sets of Saipan postcards, an unmarked video which I believe is my ultrasound, two CDs (Mariah Carey Music Box and All for Love by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, and Sting, #1 album and song the week Sophia was born), a set of US coins and an uncirculated set of UK coins from 1994, plus a 1994 Year of Review from TV Guide that says the TV history books will record 1993-1994 as the season of scandals (Roseanne and Tom, Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding among others) as well as the best TV shows, movies, sitcoms, dramas, and the most indelible TV images of the year.


Magazines include People (20 Years of People, The 25 Most Intriguing People of the Year, and Brides of the Year), the 1994 JC Penney catalog, TV Saipan and TV Guam (our local TV guides), Sports Illustrated, Newsweek, US, Time Man of the Year (Pope John Paul II) (not sure why there are two copies but one is considerable thicker than the other), Newsweek (1994 in Perspectives), and a commemorative issue on Jackie Kennedy Onassis (1929-1994).


There are newspapers from the day Sophia was born from all of our family members - Manila Bulletin (Vic's family), Manchester Evening News (Mum and Dad), San Francisco Chronicle (my sister, Barbara), Marianas Variety (our local paper), and the 1994 issue of The Sporting News.


And that is Tin #1.  Tin #2 coming next week.

7 comments:

  1. That is such a neat idea! I never put together a time capsule but each of my boys do have memory boxes filled with items like their christening clothes, any cards they received that first year of life, a newspaper clipping from when they were born, etc. And in their baby books (which are also in their boxes) there was a page that listed the cost of milk, bread, gas, etc. Headlines in the news and other world things like that were also included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love this- very impressive that you thought to save all of those items from 1994. Has Sophia ever looked at the contents of the tins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled out the Letters to the Future (I'll cover those in Part 3) for her to read when she graduated from college, but we haven't gone through the tins yet.

      Delete
  3. This is such a great idea. How I wish I would have done this for my kids, and even more that I could look back on one from 1968! I can't wait for parts 2 and 3. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such a great idea. I don't see how you fit all those magazines in! The time capsule must be larger than it looks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in the Amazon link is 6.5" in diameter and 12" tall. Mine are 10" in diameter and 11" tall, perfect for the magazine height.

      Delete
  5. A time capsule is such a fun thing to do! What a great idea. You put some fantastic things in them! I wish I had kept things like this from the days my girls were born, especially the newspapers.

    ReplyDelete