Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 551

 From this Side of the Pond

1. What impresses you? 

Self-made, successful people who give back to charity and live a modest lifestyle.  The days of "If you've got it, flaunt it" should be over when so many people are struggling.

2.  Where are you in your family birth order? Do you fit the stereotype of that particular slot? In what way?

I'm the oldest.  I had to look up the stereotype:  leaders and particularly anxious.  I don't consider myself a leader, I've always been more comfortable in a support role.  My sister is the youngest, there were just the two of us.  Her stereotype was more relaxed, coddled, and outgoing.  I suppose that's true.  You could say I'm anxious, I've been that way since I became a mother.  Do you ever stop worrying about your children?


My sister, Barbara (1966-2022) and me in the days of big hair and Merona fashions (anyone remember Merona's bright, bright colors and bold designs in the 1980s)

3. What motivates you more - a reward or a consequence? Elaborate. 

I'm not sure I understand the question.  I don't consider myself motivated by rewards - more money, more accolades, more incentives - that's not really my style.  I'm not sure I know what is meant by being motivated by a consequence.  I'll be interested to see how others have answered this.

4. May 14th is National Buttermilk Biscuit Day. Who thinks biscuits deserve their own day? Do you like biscuits? Make your own? Grab one for breakfast at a drive-through now and then? Which drive-through makes the one you like best? What do you like to put on a biscuit? What's your favorite food or dish that calls for buttermilk? 

Yes, I think biscuits deserve their own day, it seems like everything else has their own day.  I love biscuits, don't think I've ever made my own unless you count those pop out of the can ones!  Yes, I'll grab one at a drive-through, sausage and cheese, no egg please from McDonald's.  I like to put sliced ham (thick) on a biscuit.  It's a reminder of something we were introduced to in Virginia.  I'm not sure I've ever cooked anything with buttermilk.



Virginia Ham Biscuits

5. Are there any weddings on your summer calendar? What's your favorite part of a wedding/wedding reception? 

No weddings for us this summer.  So many favorites - a beautiful bride in her gown, an emotional ceremony, beautiful tablescapes, fun dancing.  A destination wedding is a fun favorite too.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Adding the picture of the Virginia Ham Biscuits made me think back to a funny story.  We were at a Christmas at the Ranch event in Virginia one December.  There were hayrides, Christmas crafts, entertainment, and a chuck wagon for refreshments.  I placed our order and, remembering past experiences where our last name always seemed to pose a problem (it's really not that difficult to spell or pronounce), I said "Jones".  Sophia was standing next to me; she was about 9 years old at the time and she said (loudly) "Our name is not Jones!"  LOL, out of the mouths of babes, isn't that the saying?

7 comments:

  1. I like the things that impress you; I also appreciate people who live modestly and who give money away to people in need. Todd's parents have been great examples of this for us, and I am so thankful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with #1 also; you don't need to go around flashing your wealth or success if you truly have those things. People will know and appreciate it if you actually earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the personal touches that each couple incorporates into their weddings; I love that no two weddings are ever exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is cute about the name when you ordered food! I used to enjoy getting a biscuit sandwich periodically at McDonald´s. I have not done that in a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad was a self-made man yet still remained humble. He's always been a hero to me. I also agree with you on rewards.
    I recently made some tube biscuits and made my own breakfast sandwiches, and they were pretty good. I forgot to mention that on my Hodgepodge. They freeze well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids are honest : ) I admire humility as well. Have a nice rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your answers. While I'm the oldest, I like playing a support role/cheerleader. My sister is 5 years younger so for many years I was an "only chilld"

    ReplyDelete