Thursday, May 30, 2024

Monthly Musings - May 2024

 

It's the last Thursday of the month, where did May go?  Time for Getting Ready for Summer/Memorial Day with Monthly Musings.

1.  What are you looking forward to this summer?  Vic starts his terminal leave (using up his leave on the books before his retirement) and he's just waiting to hear about a start date for his new job so whatever time he has off, we'll no doubt being doing some home DIY.  The hallway needs to be detextured and painted and we need barn doors for the closets in the office and the guest room.  We need to find a Rover for Malone so we can take off for a weekend.

2.  Favorite summer traditions.  We don't really have any summer traditions.  The Lavender Festival is in July, and I'd like to go to that again as Vic has never been.  I'm not a fan of hot weather so beach or lake outings are not really our thing.  That being said, we are surrounded by mountains so we might take a trip or two to do some exploring.

My last trip to the Lavender Festival (2015 with my Ladies of Leisure group just before I went back to work)

3.  Favorite summer recipe?  Please share.  I make a big bowl of pasta salad which is good with whatever comes off the grill.  It's just rotini pasta - the tricolor is festive - cubes of salami and provolone (I ask the deli counter to give me a thick slice and then I cube it), black olives, chopped red onion, and some sort of Italian dressing.  We've been enjoying the Olive Garden Italian that you can buy in the grocery store.

4.  Summer vacation plans.  None other than a weekend away probably to Mount St. Helens.

5.  Cole slaw or potato salad?  Recipe to share?  We enjoy both.  I use Mum's recipes from memory.  Cole slaw is just cabbage and mayo, I use the bagged coleslaw mix which has some red cabbage as well as green.  Potato salad is potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped celery, onion, and mayo.

6.  Favorite ice cream or frozen treat.  I love strawberry and Neapolitan ice creams and these Italian lemon ice cups.


7.  Favorite summer beverage?  Starbucks Strawberry Acai Lemonade.

8.  Beach, lake, or mountains?  Mountains, see #2.

9.  Best ways to beat the heat in summer?  Air conditioning!  When we were first moving to Washington in 2014, everyone said we didn't need air conditioning.  Wrong!   Global warming is real folks and we've had some scorching temperatures since we've been here.  There have been a couple of instances in the shipyard where I worked when work was curtailed, and they sent us all home because it was so hot.  Air conditioning was one of the must-haves when we bought our house.

10.  Favorite sunscreen.  We use Melaleuca, The Wellness Company, for toiletries and cleaning products so I use their SPF 50 Sport Sunscreen.  I'm a redhead and that means I go from white to lobster red and back to white if I'm not really careful.

Wishing you all a wonderful summer!

9 comments:

  1. I don´t think I have ever purchased a drink from Starbucks (because I don´t drink coffee!) but the drink you mentioned from there sounds really good and I can see myself enjoying it. How common are homes with AC in Washington? Where my sister lives in Canada is the same way- most homes are without AC but my sister was like, nope, I´m sure plenty of days will be warm. I want AC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like Vic is going to be busy on his time off. When my fella has time off work we always work on DIY projects too.
    Your pasta sounds so good!
    I have been making my own coleslaw lately and grate apple, carrot just a little bit of cabbage and mayo. We love it.
    Ait conditioning is not a thing here in homes but thankfully my house is old so in the summer it's quite cool unless we have a heatwave then it seems to keep the extra heat in. We sweat a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family likes that Luigi's brand of Italian ice too in either the lemon or the blue raspberry flavor. I can't imagine living without A/C ever again.. we never had it growing up and we survived but now I find that my tolerance for heat isn't nearly so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pasta salad sounds amazing- going to give it a shot this summer-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Starbucks drink is my favorite drink there! The lavender festival sound so lovely! Where is this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't have AC in England, and there were a few days when it was very warm. Luckily, it cooled off at night. It was also an issue with air circulation, since there weren't ceiling fans etc. It's hard to imagine that many places in Texas weren't air conditioned when I was little. My elementary school was not, and my best friends dorm at UT wasn't either. That just wouldn't fly with today's generation. And yes, Texas heat was the same back then as it is today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first time we lived in North Jersey we were told the same thing. Not true! When we moved back there some years later my hubs told the realtor not to show us any houses without ac! We didn't have AC in the UK but were generally in the states in July and didn't really need it the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love an Italian ice too! Thanks for joining us this month!

    ReplyDelete