Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 554

From this Side of the Pond

1.  It's National Cheese Day (June 4)...does anyone not like cheese?  What's your favorite?  Last thing you ate or made with cheese?

I love cheese.  My favorite is St. Andre, a creamy French cheese.  I had cheese for lunch, one of those Kraft Mexican medleys that I put in my quesadilla.  Vic didn't grow up eating dairy products, so cheese doesn't like him. 


2.  Last time you were instructed to 'say cheese'?  How do you feel about having your picture taken?

Since I take most the photographs, I can't remember the last time I heard 'say cheese'.  I hate having my picture taken but I do it because I read somewhere that after you're gone, it's sad for your children and grandchildren to see photos or photo albums with pictures of everyone else except you.  They won't care whether you hate your nose, lips, whatever.


The last photo of me, taken by Vic on Mother's Day.  I don't like my crooked smile, that my necklace isn't working with that neckline, or that my face is really chubby, but Vic and Sophia won't care.  They will see the wife and mother that they love and remember so many other things about me.

3.  What's your travel packing strategy?  Are you typically a light packer or do you throw in everything but the kitchen sink?  When flying do you check a bag or aim for carry on only?

I'm in between a light packer and everything but the kitchen sink.  My last trip with a suitcase was a trip to DC to meet Vic and then we drove back across the country to Washington.  I packed a carry on.  My upcoming challenge will be flying from Washington in the winter months (cold, rainy weather), taking a short cruise to the Bahamas (warm weather), and then flying home.  After that will be two weeks in France and England in the spring.  I'm researching those capsule wardrobes to make the best use of the luggage we'll take with us.

4. What is it about people's cell phone habits that you find most annoying?

Any time someone is carrying on a conversation with their cell phone on speaker especially if it's a conversation that would be better conducted in private.

5.  What will be your summer mantra/slogan?


I love this graphic has a snowflake at the top.  Summer brings Christmas in July and for my Christmas group, it's a huge celebration.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

I loved seeing this photograph of D-Day veteran Mr. Jim Miller being invited to Buckingham Palace to receive his 100th birthday card from King Charles III.  Mr. Miller was called up at 18 years old and volunteered for the Army after failing a hearing test for the Air Force.  Drafted into the Armoured Corps, Mr Miller became a driver and wireless operator in armoured cars.  He landed on Juno Beach in Nazi-occupied France on June 9 at the age of 20, after arriving on the deck of an American ship with armoured cars in the hold.



June 6, 2024 will be the 80th anniversary of D-Day.  

This year will likely be the last major D-Day anniversary with living veterans in attendance.  By the 85th anniversary in 2029, those who are still living will almost certainly be in triple digits.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I forgot about the annoyance of people talking on speaker phone when in public. NO! No one wants to hear you yapping let alone hearing in addition to that, the person you are yapping with. So true about pictures! I think it´s hard as we age to see pictures of ourselves and compare our looks with our younger selves, plus most women are critical of themselves no matter if they are young or old. But the people who love us, love us for what truly matters about us, which is not how we look. And they will want pictures of us at all stages of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of cheese which horrifies some people. I was allergic to it for a long time, it gave me migraines and now I just eat mozeralla and white cheeses.
    I hate having my picture taken too, I always feel so awkward but I do it for the same reasons, so my family has something to look back on. I think you look fabulous.
    I hate speaking on phones when they're on the speaker and when usually teenagers play music from their phones, so annoying.
    I have seen so many interviews with D-Day veterans over the past week, they are all amazing! Every one I have seen have been 100 or over. They are all heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those boys were so young, that's what always hits me when I see pictures or visit the WW2 sites. They loved their country and some even lied about their age in order to serve. Would that happen today? I'm not sure. I know there is an element of very patriotic service minded young people in our country, but they don't get the attention the haters get. I'll be in England in September...adding a week in France sounds so nice. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that same thing in pics of myself: find all the imperfections. I highly doubt anyone else is doing it though. They're thinking of the moment and what it meant to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Thank you for your random. God Bless them all.
    My military son is at Fort Polk right now for 5 weeks of training.

    I appreciated what you shared regarding having our photos taken. Well said... it is for those who love us.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for remembering D-Day.

    We have an uncle who survived D Day in 82nd Airbourne Infantry Division, Operation Market Garden, he survived the Battle of the Bulge and his unit liberated the Neuengamme Concentration Camp in 1945. The 82nd Airborne Division was recognized as a liberating unit by the US Army's Center of Military History and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 1991. YOu can imagine how proud of him and the others we all are. God blessed him to live a good, long life. What a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cheese looks so good...I will look for it in the store. I love the picture of you! You are so right that we see all our imperfections, but our loved ones see their beautiful mother/wife. Grace stayed in the Paris Hilton at the airport before flying home, and she said there were so many D-Day veterans staying there preparing for the special events. What a big journey for them at that age, and how sad that this will be the last D-day anniversary with living veterans. Our trip to Normandy was one of my favorite things while living in UK. I learned so much that I never learned here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great after thought photo and story. What an important day in history! Sounds like you have some fun trips planned!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely agree with what you shared about being in photos for the sake of our kids and grandkids. And that's a great photo of you! Thank you for sharing that very moving story as your random thought. We should have the greatest respect and gratitude for our veterans and their families. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, I'm really late commenting on this one. I'm on vacation so didn't post to this weeks, so I figured I'd go back and comment on this HP. I enjoyed your answers. I definitely believe it's important for us to be in photos.

    ReplyDelete