Monday, January 15, 2024

Hello Monday - January 15, 2024

  

I'm linking up with Holly and Sarah this morning for Hello Monday and a weekend recap.

It was a four-day weekend for Vic with the federal holiday on Monday but our only plans were to stay warm.  The Arctic Vortex brought temperatures 20 degrees lower than normal and at this time of year, normal is already COLD.  Friday was 19 degrees, but down to 10 degrees with the wind chill.

Vic had some computer work to do and I had some scrapbooking videos to watch for a couple of classes I'm in.  Looking forward to working on my 2024 album as it happens but I have 2023 to work on as well because I didn't have that mantra at the beginning of last year.  I did, however, finish off the Christmas Card album for 2023.


I love the little sleeves that come from minted so I can slip our card into it on the cover page.  All of the cards we received are in this album along with a legend of the senders.  Love to go back and look through the years, see family photos, and read newsletters.

Friday night we watched this on Netflix; it was tough to watch, especially as I remembered the news reports of the incident even though it was in the 1970s.


On Saturday, the temperature climbed up to 22 degrees and it was another day of staying cozy.  Our power company actually sent out an e-mail asking customers to conserve natural gas and electricity during the evening hours as regional utilities were experiencing higher energy use than forecasted and they need to reduce strain on the grid.

Vic made a delicious lunch on Saturday, Low Carb Sushi Rolls, strips of cucumber wrapped around a filling of avocado, shrimp, and avocado oil mayo, with sautéed shrimp on top.


Dinner was his Beef and Broccoli although we're still experimenting with replacing the sugar in the recipe.  He tried mincing some dates but it was still a little too sweet.  Less dates next time.

And here we are at Sunday - still cold, still staying cozy, still sticking faithfully to the Whole 30 - Day Fourteen!  Our viewing entertainment was this documentary which was very interesting, especially as we are right in the heart of Boeing country.


Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. today and his dedication to the nonviolent struggle against racial inequality in the United States.


I hope you have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your cozy weekend! I did get out a few times, but it didn't get that cold here until Sunday. Even as I write this, it's still snowing outside! It's beautiful, but I'm grateful to not have to drive in it in the next few days. If I go into work, I'll ask my husband to drive me and pick me back up. I don't like driving in the snow and ice, even though I know how to, it's the other drivers I worry about. I'm glad that I get to stay home today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on day 14 of Whole30! I have never tried that but I am in the middle of my own fitness/ diet challenge that so far is going good. It feels great in more ways than one (the health benefit) to do something hard and challenging. We, too, are experiencing way colder than normal temperatures. We stayed inside almost the entirety of the weekend. No complaints from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in an arctic front right now too. In the 20's, which is crazy cold for Texas! I want to check out that Netflix show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm watching Society of the Snow right now; we've spent a cozy weekend at home too but mostly because we came home from our cruise with a nasty cold/virus that has pretty much taken us down for the count. Luckily the boys have pitching in with extra chores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job keeping warm and cozy. The sushi looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are staying warm and those sushi rolls look so good. Thanks for your visits and I hope you enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete