Tuesday, June 30, 2015

If this is Tuesday, it must be England #19



Today's feature from my England Bookmarks is Anchor. Anchor is England’s largest not-for-profit provider of housing, care and support to people over 55 years old. Thank you, Wikipedia, for that concise definition. If you are elderly (Yikes, are people over 55 years old elderly? That will be me in, gulp, a few years!) and want to rent or buy a retirement home, or live in a care home with 24 hour nursing support, or have care at home, Anchor is for you.

I have the best personal recommendation for Anchor, my Mum and Dad. Mum and Dad lived in several Anchor properties (ex-military, they just couldn't stop moving around!). Each one provided everything my sister and I would want for them - a secure, cozy home with on-site staff, all the services they needed, and lots of activities. The week after Mum died in 2003, we went along on a bus trip with the residents of the Anchor property where they had once lived. We had such a lovely day out. There is so much going on - I could quite happily see myself living out my days going to coffee mornings, bingo, dinners out for holidays and special days, soup and sandwich lunches, and bus trips to hither and yon.

I have to say that when Dad returned to the United States, and we tried to find a similar set-up, the cost was exorbitant. It's too bad that there isn't an Anchor here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow that would be something nice to have in the states!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 57, and my 8- and 10-year-old granddaughters call me elderly. :) Note to self: write them each a letter to be opened on their 57th birthdays reminding them what little twerps they were. LOL

    ReplyDelete