Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 224


1. June is National Great Outdoors Month. Have you spent any time appreciating the great outdoors this month? If so where, and if not do you have any plans to enjoy the great outdoors before the calendar turns?

Here in Washington, we have the most stunning outdoors you could ask for - mountains, bays, lakes, rivers, ocean coastline, islands...so much to see and enjoy. Unfortunately, my exploring partner in crime is gone for most of the month so appreciating the great outdoors before the calendar turns is not going to happen.  That being said, Sophia and I took a drive out to the Girl Scout camp where she will be working for the summer and walked a mile round-trip to her bunkhouse and the horses' corral. That will have to count for "appreciating the great outdoors" this month!

2. What's a current hot button issue for you?

The lack of respect for the senior leadership of military commands. I'm appalled by the way some people feel completely at ease being disrespectful and rude on social media. Are there no standards left anymore?

3. What's a food or treat that 'disappears like hotcakes' in your house?

Chips and the most delicious fresh-made salsa from our local market...they're gone almost as soon as I get them unpacked from the grocery bag.

4. How hot is too hot?

About 70 degrees. I am most comfortable when the temperatures are in the 60 degree range.

5. Do you have an artistic outlook on life? What does that mean to you?

To have an artistic outlook on life means to have an appreciation for color and design, to be able to coordinate furnishings and decor, and also clothing, to be put together in such a way that you and others appreciate the outcome.

6. What's one question you'd like to ask your father, or one you wish you could ask your father?

I would have liked to ask my father more about his military career.  At my request, he started to document his experiences but sadly, did not get very far before he died. I wish I had asked earlier and been able to help him complete the project. My father was a Korean and Vietnam War veteran and I really don't know very much about his experiences. I often wonder if that was the way he wanted it to be, perhaps it was too difficult for him to talk about them?

7. Something you learned from your father?

Unconditional love...no matter how many times I messed things up in my life (poor choices when I had so many other opportunities), he was always there for me.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I can't imagine what Britain would be like with the pageantry of the Royal Family. I know there are people who feel like they are a burden on the taxpayers, but I can't imagine what it would be like if they packed up their palaces and stately homes, cleared their calendars of all the public appearances they have scheduled, and put away the tiaras, carriages, and symbols of the monarchy. They are such a part of the history of Britain.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love to follow the royals. Their traditions, their history, fascinates me. I have to agree with the temps too, 70's is ideal for me. Cooler the better. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was also fairly quiet about his experiences in the wars. I don't know how much of that was due to the actual experience, and how much due to the generation he was part of. They didn't tell all like we do now. I also love watching the Royals. The world is so bleak sometimes, and I feel they add a splash of color and brightness to things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only heard my FIL talk about Vietnam once, and that was when we were in DC. I think that was a dark part of our history...they endured so much over there, and weren't treated with very much respect when they got home.
    I don't follow the royals very much, but I do have to agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Respect for the military begins at the top. There's no respect for the military, no respect for America, no respect for Americans. When you don't have that, you see the things that are going on in our country today. The monarchy seems to weather all the storms, large or small. The people complain from time to time, but it seems to me that it's the very strong glue that holds the country together. Unlike today's younger generation of glory seekers, I suspect that your dad's attitude toward his service to our country was quiet dedication. I definitely respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad served in WWII and in the Korean War and I'd love to ask him all about his experiences. I regret I never took the time while he was here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love chips and salsa in our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree about the monarchy! I was in London about a month ago and just going to The Mews to see all the fabulous carriages was thrilling.

    ReplyDelete