Monday, July 15, 2019

Christmas in July 2019 - Day Fourteen


I can't believe that we are starting Week Three already!  This week's theme is Hygge Christmas Style.  Hygge (pronounced Hoo-ga) loosely translates as a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being.  We're going back to the categories from Week One and viewing them from a hygge perspective.

Decor - how can you have hygge decor?  I found this graphic when I was reading The Little Book of Hygge, Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Wiking.  The Hygge Manifesto includes:
Everything listed here just speaks to me about the holidays that I remember from the past, recent celebrations, and how I would like our holidays to be in the future - family and friends, a warm fire, cozy socks and blankets, hot cocoa.  It is soothing, not hectic.  I know the holiday season can be busy but it's a fun busy when you're with the ones you love, making memories.

Sorry, I got off track there, we were supposed to be talking about decor.  Well, I think our decor is very hygge.  There are a lot of special homemade touches, things that were made with love that bring memories to mind of the person that made them, and they are made even more special because I know that the person who made them was thinking of me, and us, as they were crafting.  Knitted Santas, snowmen, stockings, tea cozies, special ornaments, greenery and ribbon formed into centerpieces.  I have a whole display every year of Sophia's preschool Christmas crafts and I imagine her little hands as they made them.  It makes me long for her to be little again even though I love every moment of her being a young adult.  Memories, how precious they are.

Before I get too teary-eyed, may I just wish you some hygge for the upcoming holiday season.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely thoughts here today, Pamela. Thanks so much for sharing about your precious homemade touches and the memories they bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with hygge... Thanks for sharing this concept with us. I'm eager to read the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to make my decor more Hygge every year. Red, white, nature items... I love Christmas! Scandinavian Christmas decors talk to me.

    ReplyDelete