Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Christmas in July 2019 - Day Twenty-Three


Baking is our topic for today.  Cookies, cakes, breads, what do you bake for the holidays?  My go-tos are Pumpkin Bread (and I sometimes swirl some Nutella into it!) and Date and Walnut Bread.  I make them both in the mini loaf pans so that I can wrap the loaves in colored cellophane and give them as gifts.  They make a great thank you for coming to our holiday open house gift.


Here they are before they get their cellophane wrap

Both recipes are from the Betty Crocker's Christmas Cookbook that I've had for years - copyright is 1982!  I looked online to try to find links on the Betty Crocker site but no luck.  There are some that are similar but I'm not sure how the differences in the ingredient quantities might make the loaves turn out.  Would love to post them here but that's an infringement of that ol' 1982 copyright and I wouldn't want to upset Betty!

On a related note, Country Crock brings out a small tub of Honey Spread and one of Cinnamon Spread at the holidays which are the perfect accompaniment to these breads.

My other holiday standby is a rum cake.  I have a recipe from a Bacardi advertisement that I cut out of a magazine years ago but this year, Vic told me about a great honey rum that he tried in Spain.  It was from the Canary Islands and Total Wine for the win, I found a bottle for Father's Day.  With all the chaos that was June, we didn't open it so I'm saving it for when he comes home.

What do you bake for the holidays?

3 comments:

  1. Cookies, loaf breads, candy... the same recipes year after year with something new thrown in once in a while. Your loaves look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ones swirled with Nutella are delicious, especially when the slice is warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhum cake? they were selling that when we went to Nova Scotia but they were out of tasting cake. I still should've bought one but wasn't sure if we'd like it or not and they were pretty expensive.

    ReplyDelete