Friday, July 12, 2019

Christmas in July 2019 - Day Twelve


The last two days of this week have the theme Filling the Calendar - Food and Non-food.  I can't honestly remember what our thinking was months ago when my fellow Christmas in July planner Jody and I talked back and forth over email about the month's themes. 

I suppose Filling the Calendar - the food version - can be all about special events.  Do you plan an Open House or a Cookie Exchange or some other event revolving around food?  I love to hold a Holiday Open House; it's an informal opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and visit when everywhere is decorated for the holidays.  I'd love for it to be an annual event although that's been a bit sporadic in recent years.

I have to vent a little here - I know, so un-holiday-like - but this particular scenario just bugs me no end.  I am not a fan of what I call Go Fund Me holiday entertaining.  The invitation reads something like, "Come to OUR house for OUR annual holiday open house/party/gathering/whatever...and bring a dish to share".  Really, an invitation to drop by and you're asking me to bring a dish?  I'm sorry, but when I hold a holiday party, there's no expectation for anyone to bring anything except themselves, and I definitely wouldn't issue an invitation with that request.  I can completely understand a gathering that's specifically geared to everyone bringing something - a family gathering where everyone contributes to the menu, a gift exchange potluck lunch, a ladies brunch for a group of close friends, or something like that but there's just something about inviting people to your home for your family's holiday event and asking them to bring something.  It just doesn't sit right with me.  Maybe I'm way off base, what are your thoughts?

What kind of special events do you plan at the holidays that revolve around food?

3 comments:

  1. If it's an Open House, which means come and go to me, how do you coordinate the food if it's coming at all different times? I've not heard of this type of event. We're having a family game night this year, but the food will be an accessory, the games will be the focus! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your topics! EVERYTHING revolves around food on the holidays ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,my, Go Fund Me holiday open house made me laugh! I'm totally with you on this one! I'm vacationing in MI, and laying abed this morning catching up with blogs. Not sure if my comment will be anonymous or not, so I will sign as Kathleen...a WHOLE LOT of miles north of nowhere today. :)

    ReplyDelete