Thursday, July 25, 2019

Christmas in July 2019 - Day Twenty-Five


Christmas in the Kitchen - Family Favorites.  For sweet things, Vic loves Date and Walnut Bread, at any time, any season.  Sophia loves Fudge, the kind made with marshmallow fluff, and I love fruitcake.

Top of the savory list is smoked salmon for Vic (we had a standard Sunday after church lunch at a local bagel place in Virginia and lox and cream cheese bagels were always our choice).  Sophia loves marinated mushrooms and just give me a jar of pimento-stuffed olives and I am happy.  I suppose that comes from a childhood memory of only ever having green olives at Christmas time.  They were a treat (a jar of olives and a can of Reddi-Whip-type squirt cream were the two things my sister and I really looked forward to each Christmas); I don't find them to be overly expensive but I suppose for a one-income family of four in the late 60s and 70s, they were a treat item.

We have lots of other favorites but these stand out to me as the ones that I will remember most.

2 comments:

  1. We used to beg our mom to buy the aerosol canned whipped cream, it looked so exotic to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great fun you guys have with all those traditions! I know here fudge and thumbprint cookies are for Christmas... I didn't do any thumbprint cookies last year and my daughter said it wasn't Christmas without them... so they will go back on the baking list this year.

    ReplyDelete