Monday, July 22, 2019

Christmas in July 2019 - Day Twenty-Two


Our Christmas Eve/Christmas Day menu has only been different a couple of times and we didn't like it so we're going back to the tried and true favorite - the Christmas Eve buffet that rolls over into Christmas Day.  I bake a ham in the afternoon, and turn off the oven so it keeps warm while we go to the Christmas Eve service.  During the day, we have prepped a variety of side dishes - smoked salmon, chilled shrimp, marinated mushrooms, a variety of pickles and olives, and a cheese board.  When we come home from church, all that needs to be done is slice the ham and crusty French bread and toss the Caesar salad.  The following day, we have lots of leftovers to snack on and I can whip up a fresh salad.  This is very similar to the menu we had when I was a child although it was potato salad instead of shrimp and salmon.  I tried making Mum's potato salad a few Christmas Eves but it just wasn't the same without Mum and Dad there so I stopped.  Maybe it's time to pick it up again.  The recipe isn't written down, I'll have to try to remember it.

The menus that haven't worked over the years - we tried a seafood casserole one year.  Meh, it was ok, but just not what we're used to and there were no leftovers!  Vic and I had fondue the last two years at the Melting Pot since Sophia wasn't with us.  That too was ok, but again, no leftovers and it's really something I would like the three of us to do as a special occasion dinner.

Do you have special menus for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?

4 comments:

  1. My SIL has everyone over on Christmas Eve, so we're not home. On Christmas Day it's just the two of us and we don't have a special meal. We just relax and recover from the busy month of December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Christmas Eve Soup that I always make on Christmas Eve. It's a creamy potato and vegetable soup with a sprinkle of bacon and cheddar cheese on top. I usually served corn muffins with it back in the day. Now I usually make cheese pizza to go along with it because often grands are sharing the meal with us. Dessert for that meal is always Christmas cookies along with ambrosia.

    Our Christmas Day meal varies quite a bit. We usually get together with our daughter and family on that day and we tend to collaborate on the meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your soup sounds delicious. Friends of mine always have oyster stew on Christmas Eve, kind of like a clam chowder-type recipe.

      Delete
  3. We host NY's Eve (for over 30 years now!) for both families. The last few years have been the same... Tourtière (meat, potato pie) which one of dh's aunt does for us. I also make a buffet in the evening. I always add a few new things and see what gets eaten to know what stays and goes next year.

    ReplyDelete